Somethings Happen....

Help Support CattleToday:

************* said:
Redgully said:
To me hardcore is reached when you have cow shltt on your hands and dont bother to wash them before eating lunch.

LOL! That's disgusting. They probably palpate without plastic gloves as well.

Generally rinse the hands off in a irrigation ditch or water trough before eating a sandwich. My old AI guy never wore gloves. He was the reproductive guy for a 2,000 cow dairy. Spent his days with his arm up a cow's rear.

No one will ever know what it takes to be a real rancher, real ranchers don't have much to say. I can't figure out if their sitting there listening to what folks have to say and thinking "bunch of amateurs" or thinking about finding the tallest tree in the pasture!! I really think they are just trying to figure out how to make things stretch till next year and how to expand.

Redgully wrote: ↑Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 am
To me hardcore is reached when you have cow shltt on your hands and dont bother to wash them before eating lunch."
Reminds me: When my nephew was pre-teen age, he got to come out here from Rhode Island (my family born & raised city) and live with us all summer, accumulating with getting to show a 4-H animal project at state fair.. My sister & her husband came out the 2nd year & "helped" us at NY State Fair. Have been tradition ever since.
Anyway, we call my sister ChuckWagon, because she is always feeding half the barn. When they first started coming, they would go wash their hands before serving food or eating. After about 2 years, I chuckled one day, because I saw my BIL with a sandwich in one hand and picking up a pile of manure with the other. People adapt!

Dave said:
************* said:
Redgully said:
To me hardcore is reached when you have cow shltt on your hands and dont bother to wash them before eating lunch.

Generally rinse the hands off in a irrigation ditch or water trough before eating a sandwich. My old AI guy never wore gloves. He was the reproductive guy for a 2,000 cow dairy. Spent his days with his arm up a cow's rear.

A guy in our county died from having a cut on his hand and palpating without a glove. It's cheap insurance in my book.

************* said:
You guys kill me with the machismo! I picture some of you ranching with no shirt, smoking a carton of Camels a day, and drinking whiskey to stay hydrated.

I didn't realize your drone flew this far.

************* said:
Ebenezer said:
************* said:
Does anyone know the official number of cattle you should have in order to determine when you cross over from a hobby farmer to a hardcore rancher? I'm curious?

Are there other parameters as well, such as the size of tractor, how many semen tanks you own, etc....
Tied to net returns.

What are "Net returns", where can I buy them?
I think it is the next great bull. something like "SAV Net Returns" or something like that. But you win the prize for the right question. You get a red ink pen that bleeds red ink. Congratulations.

************* said:
Dave said:
************* said:

A guy in our county died from having a cut on his hand and palpating without a glove. It's cheap insurance in my book.

I went to high school with my AI guy. He was two years ahead of me. That makes him 70, maybe 71 now. His dad was a vet and taught him to preg check and AI when he was in high school. That would have been over 50 years ago. I don't know that they had the gloves back then. He never stated wearing them.

Latest posts