Something to think about

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I got an offer today to buy some heifers from my boss in a couple years. I was a bit surprised, to say the least, but pleased as well. See, originally I was thinking of getting Herefords or Shorthorns for a starter herd, but since this offer came up, I have that to think on for a couple years as well. I've seen his cattle, and they are nice animals. Docile, easy keepers, and good mothers, with good milk that raise great calves, all that I've been looking for for my operation. They are only grained a little bit once every week to keep them tame, but other than that they are on grass and other roughage most of their lives. They are Angus-Simmental crosses, btw.

So I got me a bit of thinking to do, whether I should go ahead with the offer or not. :)

You have lot's of time to think ilabb, do not rush into anything even though I know you desperately long to have cattle of your own again..

Hang in there ,your time will come soon enough. Travel go out and enjoy life before you become completely tied down again ;you are young start acting like it.. :)

I agree with Hills look around & don't be rushed into anything, though I would seriously consider your boss's offer if your working around the cows/calves you know the temperament of the cattle involved, what their being fed, the pros & cons of that particular cross it all comes down to what your wanting to do with the end result the calves.

That's the thing with the two years to take advantage of. I know there are more folks around, but seeing that my boss is a vet (and a darned good one at that), for sure it's an offer that is not going to be easy to pass off.

HD, I know I know I work my butt off too hard to act my age, but I can't help it, alright? ;-) I am in no rush at all, but can't help but be happy to have an offer like that to think on.

There is a sizable simm-angus operation about an hour and a half away from me, and they are great mama cows, but I'm sure you know that better than I do. If I had an opportunity to load up some of those heifers and bring them to my place, I'd be on it like white on rice!

IluvABbeef":niiucduk said:
I got an offer today to buy some heifers from my boss in a couple years. I was a bit surprised, to say the least, but pleased as well. See, originally I was thinking of getting Herefords or Shorthorns for a starter herd, but since this offer came up, I have that to think on for a couple years as well. I've seen his cattle, and they are nice animals. Docile, easy keepers, and good mothers, with good milk that raise great calves, all that I've been looking for for my operation. They are only grained a little bit once every week to keep them tame, but other than that they are on grass and other roughage most of their lives. They are Angus-Simmental crosses, btw.

So I got me a bit of thinking to do, whether I should go ahead with the offer or not. :)

I would.

Thanks all; though two years seem like a fair distance away, it'll go by just like that.

Latest posts