Something to be aware of if you work with building materials

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Steve came home this weekend and was telling me about some thefts in broad daylight of building materials, particularly shingles. I guess there are Honduran gangs out there, and they like to target places like Lowes and Homo Depot. They just drive up in open daylight and load up on the materials. They are armed and they don't care who sees them. They have been hitting Houston but are moving North. Plant in Sulphur Springs had 114K of shingles taken at night. Steve's plant started moving them indoors at night. Also, since he has the back of the plant and it is customary for him to check out whoever pulls up out there, he's been told not to, but to just go to the office and call the police. I guess they have killed a security guard in Houston. The gangs don't really care who they hurt and they act with impunity. If you work at a place like that, be careful. It seems they mean business.

Lammie":1ec8ssxo said:
Steve came home this weekend and was telling me about some thefts in broad daylight of building materials, particularly shingles. I guess there are Honduran gangs out there, and they like to target places like Lowes and Homo Depot. They just drive up in open daylight and load up on the materials. They are armed and they don't care who sees them. They have been hitting Houston but are moving North. Plant in Sulphur Springs had 114K of shingles taken at night. Steve's plant started moving them indoors at night. Also, since he has the back of the plant and it is customary for him to check out whoever pulls up out there, he's been told not to, but to just go to the office and call the police. I guess they have killed a security guard in Houston. The gangs don't really care who they hurt and they act with impunity. If you work at a place like that, be careful. It seems they mean business.

Keep them up there Lammie!! A rancher I know put a heavy bar gate across his driveway but someone still got in a stole $300 worth of ag chemicals. I get poked at for locking things up but it doesn't take a second for someone to steal the goods and it takes forever to replace them.

From what I hear, they are very organized and they just pull up, even when the business is open, broad daylight and take what they want and leave. Bold. They are armed, too. You would expect this sort of thing to happen in Columbia or somewhere, but not in the States. The plant I was talking about was hit at night but daylight doesn't seem to bother them.

Lammie":1wpwmevy said:
From what I hear, they are very organized and they just pull up, even when the business is open, broad daylight and take what they want and leave. Bold. They are armed, too. You would expect this sort of thing to happen in Columbia or somewhere, but not in the States. The plant I was talking about was hit at night but daylight doesn't seem to bother them.

Unless there is a "guard" kiosk in view of the materials in front, I would imagine the easiest and less suspicious way to steal something at those places is in broad daylight and doing it like you have already paid for it. Don't act suspicious. Just load up "naturally"...lol. With all the people coming and going, and the "rare" event of an inside clerk coming outside...well...you get the picture. On the other hand, "nighttime" stealing in front could cause a lot of suspicious activity...right?

3 or 4 guys can load a lot of stuff in 2 or 3 minutes and be on their way...especially if stuff is out in front in parking lot and not "chained down"...but then, there are bolt cutters...lol.

Bill......had a new "Sonic" going up. Thieves drove up on a Saturday morning in a 4x4 one ton truck with a large flatbed gooseneck. Cranked the bobcat sitting on the site with the key in it. Loaded all the rebar on the trailer and drove off. Had to do it in 3 trips. Store next door got partial pics on their security cameras but not enough to catch the thieves. Cops said they even drove by but only thought it was construction workers doing their job.

I had a backhoe stolen several yrs ago on a sunday
we were doing a water line renewal in Springfield and we worked on saturday on monday it was gone the man who lived next door to where the machines were parked said a guy showed up about 10am and started cleaning up some of the ditch lines and piling the excess dirt and he even spoke to him and asked if he could smooth the gravel out in his driveway and the guy did then about noon loaded the machine on a trailer and took off
The neighbor just thought he was one of the guys working for me

look like you are supposed to be there and nobody notices

Angus Cowman":1i37fvv9 said:
look like you are supposed to be there and nobody notices

Do it in plain sight, in broad daylight, and go about business as normal and nobody will take notice of you at all. Happens all the time.