Something that bugs me..............

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Why is it that every TV hunter that travels to Africa on safari has to carry their rifle differently then they do when in the US? Does the gravitational pull of the earth vary so much that it makes them carry their rifle over their shoulder, with their hand holding the end of the barrel and the stock pointing to the sky. That was great for the English safari types in the days of old but these guys have never carried their rifle this way their whole life, they go to Africa and all of a sudden they must do it the complete opposite way they have done forever. To cap it all off is that they have a sling on the rifle but seem to have forgotten what it is there for........... :roll:

I wouldn;t doubt that some of the PHs require it be carried that way.

Problem is that it points the muzzle directly at the back of the guy in front of them :roll: I think they just like to look safari'ish. Especially with the cargo shorts. I know it is hot but it gets hot, very hot on early season deer, hog and antelope hunts in the U.S. and these same TV stars wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of shorts hunting antelope. I have been to south Africa a few times in their summer. It was hot but not hot enough for me to wear shorts out in the bush.......seems that everything had a thorn on it. Most of the time the hunter doesn't carry his gun with a round in the chamber, the PH might but the hunter usually chambers one when getting in position for the shot. Maybe keeping their finger far, far away from the trigger is a good thing judging by some of the knuckleheads that star on some of these shows. You would think they haven't been around firearms much by the way they handle them. They look very uncomfortable and their handling doesn't look natural or confident.

Wonder if having the rifle pointed up could mean you were a combatant? I know a fella that goes over there and I'll ask him if he knows why? Probably like you say though.

Latest posts