Something seems out of kilter

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Sold some calves this week and wasn't surprised when I didn't get as good a price as two years ago. I was surprised when I learned that we were out of freezer steaks and my wife had to buy some ribeyes at $12.50/lb and they weren't that good. :shock: What in the world? Corns down, diesel is down so what's the deal?

and the mrkts down...i hauled 2400 lbs of good quality calfs and avg .70..they were older fatties but man..what beating..

Jogeephus":bbdqwcws said:
Sold some calves this week and wasn't surprised when I didn't get as good a price as two years ago. I was surprised when I learned that we were out of freezer steaks and my wife had to buy some ribeyes at $12.50/lb and they weren't that good. :shock: What in the world? Corns down, diesel is down so what's the deal?
Hope you were getting 2 for one. :shock:

MAN! you guys are scaring me, haven't been following calf sales lately. I was hoping calf value would be creeping up with the lower feed costs.

Jogeephus":3cuz8mb9 said:

Precisely why I do not take my calves to market. I sell all private treaty and can set my own prices. The only ones I take to the barn are cull cows that dont perform. The rest of them are either sold for freezer beef for private individuals or they go to private individuals for breeding stock.

12.50 seems awfully high.
I'm struggling to understand this market myself. The numbers of cattle for market are down significantly and the number of feeders available are down.
I hear "the economy" put forward as the root cause, but I'm not buying that entirely.
Some say "Wal-Mart" and some say packers.
If I knew, I'd be getting paid for writing this.

Jogeephus":1yuwa3vp said:

What in the world? She must have went to Kroger and saw something that looked good. Harveys has been running them left and right for 4.99 per pound. This week it's ny strips at 3.99 per pound. Next week will either be t-bones or ribeyes again. I've bought a few when we ran out and they're not bad. Not bad at all...

Things like this are why my wife is forbidden to go to the grocery store. She comes home with those 4.99 per pound chicken strips because "they looked good".

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Jogeephus":29z90jwq said:

Sounds like you need to raise your own freezer pleasers!

grannysoo":3tp4gn39 said:
Jogeephus":3tp4gn39 said:

What in the world? She must have went to Kroger and saw something that looked good. Harveys has been running them left and right for 4.99 per pound. This week it's ny strips at 3.99 per pound. Next week will either be t-bones or ribeyes again. I've bought a few when we ran out and they're not bad. Not bad at all...

Things like this are why my wife is forbidden to go to the grocery store. She comes home with those 4.99 per pound chicken strips because "they looked good".

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

No its was the store that begins with the H. She did mention the same deal on the strips but she knows I like the ribeyes. The sticker price was $12.50 but you gotta know my wife - she called the butcher out and gave her a piece of her mind. She walked out with a 50% discount. But $12.50 is ridiculus. How can people afford that.

GMN":3tp4gn39 said:
Sounds like you need to raise your own freezer pleasers!

I do but apparantly I was too generous to my friends and neighbors last year. :cry2:

1982vett":2ufp8i1j said:
Jogeephus":2ufp8i1j said:
I do but apparantly I was too generous to my friends and neighbors last year. :cry2:
Might be cheaper to buy it after all. :lol:

:lol2: :lol2: I'm thinking it might be cheaper to blow up a few bridges. That way I'll at least have a good steak to eat. :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":hxyipc5f said:
1982vett":hxyipc5f said:
Jogeephus":hxyipc5f said:
Might be cheaper to buy it after all. :lol:

:lol2: :lol2: I'm thinking it might be cheaper to blow up a few bridges. That way I'll at least have a good steak to eat. :mrgreen:
How's the egg business going?

1982vett said:
How's the egg business going?[/quote

I think we are going to have to expand cause she can't raise enough to fill all the orders. She's now thinking of marketing beef so her customers can have steak and eggs for breakfast. :lol2:

You know, I posted a picture of the chicken house you should have built. :nod: Chickens and Beef......... Nah. She needs pigs. Ham, bacon, sausage, pork chops and eggs. Maybe a tater patch too. :help:

You'd be amazed at what her little enterprises bring in each week. At some point I'm gonna have to explain to her about her uncle. I really dread this cause I'm afraid it may takesome of the wind out of her sails.

That's what they cost around here too, I quit buying at the stores. Stock up the freezer, it's way cheaper.

Latest posts