Something I have NEVER heard....

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":22vnxotj said:
I'm in need of transportation--mid 50s Ford pickup will work if ya have one lying around..............

There have indeed been times I missed them.
I have had several column shift vehicles including trucks. I did not mind the column shift at all when i was young and driving a pickup--and still single. That floor or console shift lever just flat gets in the way when you're trying to get a little "love by the dashboard lights"..
That's my complaint about the floor shift too. Not that it matters now but 50 some years ago it was a pain in the butt.

I do miss mine. It was a 81 Chevy short bed, with mag wheels and tires too fat to go down a dirt road after a rain, glass packs, pin stripped paint job, Chevy emblem in the back glass, and a fuzzy seat. It was absolutely worthless on the farm, but it fired up like clockwork and the girls liked it. It was a cop magnet as well. Can't tell you how many times I was illegally and legally searched.

What was funny, is so many times it would take kids 15 minutes to realize it was a standard. Many would ask, why I kept messing with the gear shift.

I had a 76 Chevy with 4 on the tree. Never seen another. Anybody else have one? I miss that truck. Dad always said if you could manage a column shift, you could manage any woman. Does anybody have a clue what he might have meant :lol2:

Ouachita":jerjnncd said:
I had a 76 Chevy with 4 on the tree. Never seen another. Anybody else have one? I miss that truck. Dad always said if you could manage a column shift, you could manage any woman. Does anybody have a clue what he might have meant :lol2:
In the 60s I drove a Saab sports car that had a 5 speed on the column, now that was WEIRD

Yeller 1949 4 in the floor until I got fancy Brand Spanking New 1972 Ford 6cyl 3 on the tree.
This truck would not pull your cap off... but it was new.

I bought my '81 used. I had been driving it for a while, maybe 6 months or so. I the cab had a really funky oder that I just couldn't get out. I decided to take the seat out, and give the cab a deep cleaning. When I got the seat out, I noticed the previous owner had mistakenly left something behind. It was a bag of marihuana about the size of two of fist. If I had been pulled over and searched, nobody would have believed that it wasn't mine. That is the kind of thing that people would remember for the rest of your life.

I drove a '54 Chevy210 and a '63 Chevy BelAir (both 4dr cars ) in high school. Special girl had never seen a 3-on-the-tree, she thought it was cool. 8) Sometimes I would let her shift! :heart: ;-)

Not a bad tranny for a car. Not great for a pickup because of no granny gear. The '63 went 260K+ on original drivetrain, including clutch. Best car EVER. Miss it, should have kept and restored it. :cry2:

John SD":2dclxhvf said:
I drove a '54 Chevy210 and a '63 Chevy BelAir (both 4dr cars ) in high school. Special girl had never seen a 3-on-the-tree, she thought it was cool. 8) Sometimes I would let her shift! :heart: ;-)

Not a bad tranny for a car. Not great for a pickup because of no granny gear. The '63 went 260K+ on original drivetrain, including clutch. Best car EVER. Miss it, should have kept and restored it. :cry2:

I would give my left --- to have my 64 Ford Fairlane 260 V8 three on the tree now.

'64 Fairlane was my 1st car--but a 6 cyl, Police blue, City of Houston surplus police cruiser with a kajillion miles already on it when I got it--$325. It lasted me about a year before I took a curve too fast and ran the right front suspension into a 4' pipe guard rail in front of the Highlands Fire Dept.

Caustic Burno":1s8ekmcl said:
John SD":1s8ekmcl said:

I would give my left --- to have my 64 Ford Fairlane 260 V8 three on the tree now.
I'm sure you would but it takes something of value to acquire one. :mrgreen:

jedstivers":2h2p1wjq said:
Caustic Burno":2h2p1wjq said:
John SD":2h2p1wjq said:

I'm sure you would but it takes something of value to acquire one. :mrgreen:

Keep it up.
You better come to that reunion riding a shetland and I an still going to shoot low.

Latest posts