• Yes

Votes: 33 86.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jogeephus

Reaction score
My godsister was found dead in her home this week and something has been nagging me and I wondered if I could trouble you for your opinion on something. If your mother called you and asked if you would go check on your brother/sister cause she had not heard from them for several days and you went to their house and found their car in the drive and several newspapers in the drive and no one would answer the door. What would you do? Would you let yourself in and see what was up or would you call the police and not go in the house until the police arrived?

I think anyone that has been entrusted with the knowledge of how to let themselves in would do just that in such a case.

If there was no sign of break in and I knew where the key was,I'd call the cops,tell them what was going on as I went in the door.

No one locks their doors around here.
My siblings? I would let myself in if I thought they had a cold diet coke in the frig.
My mom would call the cops if she went a few hours without hearing from one of us. Seriously.
We live in one anothers back pockets.

Yes, I would let myself in.

If I was asked by someone else to go check I would definitely make a bunch of noise, call the sheriff's office then proceed in. I however would not normally enter any of my sisters homes without an invitation or a real good reason.

Thanks. Given a reason it looks like 100% would have let themselves in as would I have. Its bothering me why he didn't. There's more to this story but they are keeping a lid on it. My mother went over to my godmother's home to console her since she is feeble. While there, my godbrother came in and told her she did not need to go to the house and this was too much for him so he was going to the river. Never once did he hug her or reassure her or offer any kind or reassuring words. He just left. I don't want to be paranoid and sure there are many explanations but something just doesn't settle well with me on this especially given the fact that he is a POS who has been living a life of leisure at the expense of his family and the state. On the otherhand, my godsister was a beautiful, fine, wonderful, trusting and caring person. I'm troubled by this as you can tell.

My wife is a cop --some one phoned and hadn't seen there nieghbour for awhile---she went there the old boy had fallen and was lying on the floor for 6 days in the bathroom got him an ambulance and to a hospital---Turns out he hadn't seen his daughter since she was 7 --She's now 37--my wife contacted her She's mad because he hasn't made any attempt to contact her all these years Is a single mom and has precious little money --lives 700 miles away-- can't afford to make the trip --Anyway my wife told her she should come (she found wads of cash in the house )Anyway the daughter came; and the house was the same as when she was a kid her little dolls in the same place -pictures of her on the wall Turns out the old boy was loaded and owned a bunch of property close to the city.Anyway I always thought that was a nice story.
Getting back to weather I would go in a house and check. or not. --naw the police are equiped to deal with these things And believe me it aint pretty sometimes especially in the middle of summer -AND you know what? they use vicks on their top lip to deal with the smell.

This happened in my town. One of the ladies who worked at the barbershop where I get my air cut did not come in to work for 4 days (she had worked there 15 years) and wasn't returning any of their phone calls. They called her brother. He knew something was BAD wrong so had the police meet him out there. They found both her and her husband shot to death with a .22 in bed. Their son was the shooter. The law found him up in the Dakotas.

I probably would have gone into the house.
As far as the rest of the scenario, I strongly believe in intuition. If that little wierdo, hair-stand-on-end radar goes off, I respect it.
Sorry about the loss of your loved one.

Brandonm22":3ivg6iha said:
This happened in my town. One of the ladies who worked at the barbershop where I get my air cut did not come in to work for 4 days (she had worked there 15 years) and wasn't returning any of their phone calls. They called her brother. He knew something was BAD wrong so had the police meet him out there. They found both her and her husband shot to death with a .22 in bed. Their son was the shooter. The law found him up in the Dakotas.

Oh, that made my hair stand up and I got the chills. Most of my family have people who visit them in person regularly or people living with them. I do get worried if I call or text someone and I don't hear from them for a day or 2. But then normally they get back to me in a day at the latest. It's a frightening prospect though. I guess personally I would go to the house and see what it looked like. If there was a bank up of mail or something that looked/felt off I'd probably call someone else, not necessarily police, before I did anything.

That's a hard one to call, I don't know exactly what I would do. When I was just out of high school I lived and worked with one of my best friends older bother (2 yrs older)... so yes he was a good friend also. About the same time his mom died of cancer, his girlfriend left him and he went to the bottle hard. He lost most of his friends and ended up putting a gun to his head. His dad ended up going to his apartment and had the landlord open it up. His dad found him with the side of his head gone..... dad put a gun to his head about a year later. It's hard to say how someones going to handle what they might find.... it's a tough call.

Alan

personally if i was called to go check on some1 id go in.as a matter of fact my bro had this happen to him last christmas.him an his friend went to the movie christmas eve.he talked to her that nite.an had tryed to call her a few times christmas day.thinking she had gone to her moms he gave up on calling her.later her sis called.an asked if he had talked to her.an he hadnt so they asked him to go check on her.an went in an found her.an she was gone.

I went to visit an invalid neighbor one day- I knew he was there(had to be) But he wouldn't answer the door.
I got worried- and started poking around looking in windows
I could see his bed from one window and I could see him lying REAL still.
I went around and banged on the wall right next to the bed- never moved

I went in- yelling"hello- its me" as I did -
won't ever do that again- I finally roused him and he come up with a gun from under the pillow

A family member or a loved one, I wouldn't think twice about going in especially if I was entrusted to where the spare key was hidden . I would call the police after I knew for sure what I had found.

I agree with what others have said about instinct if something doesn't feel right then it probably isn't. Never under estimate the power of intuition.

Brandonm22":2senlsjc said:
aussie_cowgirl":2senlsjc said:
Oh, that made my hair stand up and I got the chills. Most of my family have people who visit them in person regularly or people living with them.

They did too.......their killer. Here is the latest newspaper article.

http://www.thestclairtimes.com/news/200 ... 0l4826.htm

That's sad. I wonder what the motivation was. It says he claimed it was after drinking and that he was just an idiot but that's a paper thin motive. Unless he really was that much of an ass.

It's a hard call to make on this one Jo. It is up to each person to make that call.
now coming from an EMT stand point you wait til the police get there and clear the scene. Because you never know what you are stepping into or what you can destroy.

Case in point we had a vet murdered around 12 years ago. He was suppose to meet some people and didn't show. They went to his house and walked in and found him. It was first thought to be suicide, but with so many people walking in and out of the house they have never found his killer.

Latest posts