Something Gimpy said, got me thinking. Need horns!

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Hubby does not "do computer," so I don't need to worry about whether he sees this. He is an avid black powder shooter -- has been for near 40 years. He shoots both flint and percussion. I've been thinking about having a nice set of scrimshawed powder horns done for him -- regular size and a priming horn. I have "maps" with significant places set out, in mind -- the Ozark country on the bigger horn; WA hunting areas on the smaller one. This won't happen for Christmas -- maybe by his BD next year. BUT, most cattle here are polled. I'd like to find a large horn, basically light-colored with some darker striations, not paper-thin walls -- maybe 16" total length, so it could be trimmed as needed, with a base diameter of 3 inches or so (to allow for trimming) -- a nice curve or twist on it. For the smaller horn, shorter version of the same curve/twist, color, total 8" long or so, as the priming horns are smaller/shorter. If you are a ML shooter, you know what I'm looking for. LMK what you've got. Happy to pay postage! Thx!

I used to buy horns from Dixie Gunworks when I did the ML deal. Don;t even know if they're still in business. If that slaughterhouse is still in Ellensburg you maybe could get some from them.

I would check processors like dun said. We got a decent set of horns from ours that they didnt have plans for

dun":3604v608 said:
I used to buy horns from Dixie Gunworks when I did the ML deal. Don;t even know if they're still in business. If that slaughterhouse is still in Ellensburg you maybe could get some from them.
No slaughter house here any longer, Dun. I know about Dixie and other retail/on-line distributors -- not interested in what Dixie has for horns. You guys out there raising horned cattle are a better source. Thx!

Kathie in Thorp":hmp5oj4w said:
dun":hmp5oj4w said:
No slaughter house here any longer, Dun. I know about Dixie and other retail/on-line distributors -- not interested in what Dixie has for horns. You guys out there raising horned cattle are a better source. Thx!
When I was buying from them they were practically giveaway prices. But that was 1979.

dun":2z8fxqyh said:
Kathie in Thorp":2z8fxqyh said:
dun":2z8fxqyh said:
When I was buying from them they were practically giveaway prices. But that was 1979.
Dixie's price doesn't scare me -- just can't always find "exactly" what I'm after in something that isn't a manufactured item with them.

dun":xv0df8b6 said:
When did they shut down the slaughterhouse?
Years ago, Dun! 8-10 ?? On that property, Luft Trailer Sales is situated, and I think part of it also has a truck wash-out company. I don't know if the big hay outfit off that W. exit is part of the old slaughterhouse property. I've been here 5 yrs.; it was gone well before I arrived.

Latest posts