Something else to feed!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Just found out that my husband bought a miniature donkey from a church auction in Oklahoma. :mad: She's supposed to be a grey dun bred to a spotted jack. Due to foal in September.

Didn't I just sell my calves? I love the mini donks, and that's really what we do here. But this isn't the best time of year to get another mouth to feed! Oh well. It's always fun when they foal. And they sell as soon as you post the sign at the gate. Maybe I can make a bit of money off this.

Lammie, hey, you know that donks are easy keepers, be sure to post a photo when you get her! Congratulations!

I have another one that's due to foal any time now. She'll probably wait till I'm away this weekend to do it! Anyway, I'll post when I get her. I think I'm going on Sunday. Of course, she's in Oklahoma. I'm going to take my son up to Amarillo tomorrow and get him settled into the dorm. Be back late Friday. My husband works on Saturday and then off to get the Jennet.

We have already named her, so I guess that means we're keeping her. She's supposed to be a class B, 38" in the withers, eight years old, bred to a 34 inch spotted jack. Sarah supposedly has been bred by our spotted jack, so with any luck, we'll have two spotted foals here by fall.

Ruth. I named her Ruth.

Warpaint, I don't whether to laugh or cry myself. They can live on practically nothing, although I like to keep mine fat and happy. They aren't too happy right now. It is 107 degrees on the back porch and they are all standing at the fence line trying to get as much late afternoon shade as they can.

I'd be happier if I had some grass. :roll:

Lammie, Be glad your hubby isn't trapping hogs. Those little hungry critters can put away some groceries. I am going to have to haul some to Lingleville soon.

Rustler9":2b0wy262 said:
I saw a spotted one sell for $800.00 last Saturday at a horse sale. He was saddle broke.

Yea, sometimes you can get a good price for them. Guy he bought from had miniature horses and donks. Is getting rid of the donks due to the hay situation. He says he sells them for around 600 apiece, although I haven't ever gotten more than 400.00 for one. Jacks aren't worth anything. Jennies sell good. I'm trying to breed for spots. The next two I have should be spotted. Sarah was bagged up last night so we're keeping an eye on her. She likes to foal at night and out of the way. I've had good luck in that I've managed to get two jennies in a row. Once had a streak for three years with nothing but jacks.

Backhoe, have't seen any hogs around here. Just the occasional bobcat.

I'd bet money that while we're gone this weekend, Sarah will foal. She is the picture of misery at this moment! They are pretty little things when they are born, though. All head and legs and only about 20 pounds. Can't wait to see spots!

Latest posts