Someone is optmistic

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I see on Superior that 4 weight steers and heifers off the high desert Winecup ranch brought over $2.00 a pound. And not just $2.01 but well over $2. I don't know how well these will work but it is good to see optimism from some buyers.

Dave":y42tzuru said:
I see on Superior that 4 weight steers and heifers off the high desert Winecup ranch brought over $2.00 a pound. And not just $2.01 but well over $2. They sold 240 head of steers base weight of 410 for $2.3950 and 345 heifers with a 400 pound base weight for $2.0950. I don't know how well these will work but it is good to see optimism from some buyers.

I thought the same Dave I saw some chars 5 and 6s bring deep in 1.60 range those were solid prices I thought.

Talking heads are optimistic and there are some people who believe them. Grain and cattle have been trending up since last October. US dollar is trending down. China is stepping up purchases incase grains go higher. Oats and spring wheat are showing the biggest % increases. Who would have thunk it?

Very few people believe in "fundamentals" anymore. It is momentum and bilateral trade deals and AI algorithms and packer posturing.

Since no one really knows when or why volatility will happen next - - I think you are forced to know your break evens and lock in some profit when it is there.

Well they are still looking good. The wife's daughter and SIL sold two pot loads yesterday. They got $1.94 for the steers and $1.66 for the heifers. I did look real close at all the sale results but I did notice some steers over $2.00.

Dave":5vrlrrhm said:
Well they are still looking good. The wife's daughter and SIL sold two pot loads yesterday. They got $1.94 for the steers and $1.66 for the heifers. I did look real close at all the sale results but I did notice some steers over $2.00.

The heifers were way back from the steers

Cross-7":1p0sfp3f said:
Dave":1p0sfp3f said:

The heifers were way back from the steers

I thought so too, but I would be happy at $1.66 for my heifers.

Yeah that's not terrible as cross said though that's a fairly heavy spread. Guess it's hard to judge without seeing them but still good for them with solid prices i would be grinning.

Stocker Steve":5xj9eb6s said:
Dave":5xj9eb6s said:
I thought so too, but I would be happy at $1.66 for my heifers.

A real optimist would retain his heifers... :nod:

He might have thought about it but I am pretty sure the daughter in law would have killed him. Lots of space in that northern Nevada desert for a body to disappear into.

Stocker Steve":40oquxap said:
We are seeing an uptick in calf prices here, even though fat prices are going down. :?

Free corn this fall?
Some of the boys around here are worried it's going to drop into the $2's.

bball":2mw7v5vb said:
Free corn this fall?
Some of the boys around here are worried it's going to drop into the $2's.[/quote]

Local corn got up to $3.01 a couple months ago, but it has been in the $2s for years. Neighbor sold last fall for $2.45 net after drying. Then he got a part time job in town. :nod:

Cool rainy summer and $2 corn could turn into a pile o silage. Looking like a lot of heifer retention, again. :cowboy:

Cash bid today is $2.90
Yearling steers today are $1.45
Order buyer said you would lock into a $200/hd loss if you contracted yearlings today...

What are the odds of a Sept/Oct calf price crash like last year?

Latest posts