Someone is bullish on the market

Help Support CattleToday:

We don't have much fescue here. I've tried the stock piling deal and it didn't work for us. It seemed like they was eating wet cardboard, no or very little feed value is what I noticed. They do graze all winter it's just not the primary source.

We slowly cut numbers starting in February. Partially to extend grazing, partially due to dryness. Delayed turn out and slowed down the rotation. Just finishing the initial grazing. Some grass is brown.

Low meadows and scattered alfalfa plants have a little regrowth. So we are "flash grazing". That sounds better than almost out of grass. My first field of millet cover crop mix germinated. The next two fields planted did not... Just sprayed out some more blue grass, but will hold off on seeding more annuals.

Working on plan C. Would like to graze out my soy beans.

Last edited:
I sold a few weeks ago.
Heifers 765 @ $1.425 = $1,090
Steers 715 @ $1.60 = $1,145
Steers. 835 @ $1.495= $ $1,248

Wasn't going to post this but thought I would for the nay sayers. If I would've waited a week probably got 3-5 cents higher. The smaller group of steers were off a group of heifers I kept and a few older cows I've just kept too long. When I say older Id guess them at 16-18 yo, they really need go but they're kinda my trainer cows. This group of yearlings was 15-17 months old.

I went to the sale yesterday. I figured it would be better than sitting in front of the AC. I had never been to that barn in the summer. No AC. They sold 600 lambs before starting the cattle. We are in the wrong business. Lambs weighing 90-110 pounds brought $2.55 to $2.72. After several hours of sheep selling I didn't make it too long into the cattle.
4 Angus cows 3 &4 year olds bred 7 and 8 months brought $735. They couldn't get a bid on 2 pairs 4 year olds with 200 pound calves, they split them. The bred cows all went to kill for $0.68 - 0.73. Light calves were pretty cheap. I had enough sitting in the heat and left.

It's a shame bred cows go to slaughter, but that's what the market is right now. With hay prices so high and water scarce many ranchers are bowing out or culling their herds hard. I think those that can afford to buy a few and weather the storm will real some rewards in the next two years. But then again my wife says I'm always wrong..Haha

It's a shame bred cows go to slaughter, but that's what the market is right now. With hay prices so high and water scarce many ranchers are bowing out or culling their herds hard. I think those that can afford to buy a few and weather the storm will real some rewards in the next two years. But then again my wife says I'm always wrong..Haha
Those 3 & 4 year old cows bred 7 and 8 months for $735 weighed about 1200 pounds. That figures out to be about $0.61 a pound. I will let you guess where they went. Someone with fall calvers could have bought them and killed 4 older cows and been ahead with younger cows.

I totally agree. I purchased some young (2nd calving) bred cows two months ago from a guy who was running low on pasture. I'll cull some of my older ones this fall, just made sense.

Auction> Friday Aug 6 22 Steers 488# $199. 78 Steers 567# $188.75 351 Steers 809# 164.35
35 Heifers 471# $170.50 140 Heifers 716# $155.75 17 Replacement Heifers 759# $165.
Volume 6200 +

I'm selling calves in roughly 30 days to a local feeder. I'm hoping prices continue to hold or even inch a little higher.

I went to La Grande yesterday just to watch. Almost all the pairs got split and cows sent to slaughter. All the bred cows went that way. Yearling steers weighing 800+ brought up to $1.50. Heifers from the same place went for $1.40. Saw a big bunch of 600 weight steers bring $170.25. Some single split steers going 375-425 sold fro about $1.70. No groups of lighter calves while I was there.

I noticed cull prices have been holding steady as well. I think with the drought and all the cows get rounded up for the winter and culled that market may drop quite a bit.

Demand is strong. Will the fall run bring back us to the average for the last five years? Maybe not with inflation factored in.

It may be a good this winter to buy calves to sale next year in early summer. .

I agree, if we can get next year's calf crop to market, it may be a good year because of all the other factors that are playing out this year.

Demand is strong. Will the fall run bring back us to the average for the last five years? Maybe not with inflation factored in.

It may be a good this winter to buy calves to sale next year in early summer. .
Stockers made good money this year with the beef price increases. Next year' options will really depend on your feed. The 2021 feed I have is not high enough quality for stockers.

Since I am forced to sell some many cows this year - - I think best case is a pasture recovery or renovation next year.

Last edited:
Stockers made good money this year with the beef price increases. Next year' options will really depend on your feed. The 2021 feed I have is not high enough quality for stockers.

Since I am forced to sell some many cows this year - - I think best case is a pasture recovery or renovation nex
Pasture and grazing ground recovery over the winter and spring will play a big part of what we will be able to do next year if we don't get a lot of moisture this fall and a heavy snow pack.

Latest posts