Somebody still has money.

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Went to the barn last night, trying to replace a couple pound cows that I sold yesterday morning. I'm not sure if guys still have CFAP money to get rid of or they are just that optimistic about the cattle market.

"Tuesday, December 1, 2020 - Packer Day/Bred Cow Sale

A nice crowd of enthusiastic buyers gathered for the December bred cow/pair sale which featured a select group of bred heifers and several nice groups of younger cows bred for spring calving.

70 pairs topped out at $2350 with the top end selling from $1775 - $2150. Next cut traded homes from $1200-$1600 and the older or smaller pairs were from 1285.00 and down.

Over 300 bred cows were well received and topped at 1950. The range on the younger end was from 1425.00-1800.00. Another cut of this age bracket sold from 1400 and down. Middle aged cows 7 years & up sold mostly from 1125-1550. Older bred cows traded from 1200 and down.

A select group of AI bred fancy heifers were very popular and sold from 1800-2150 and a few bulls mostly Angus topped out at $2,000.

485 slaughter cattle including 240 fed steers & heifers that sold with very good demand. Increased cutout values have spurred the fed market higher as today's top was 112.50.

Another big run of cull cows saw moderate demand once steady to weak market. Bulk of the cows sold from 48.00 to 58.00. "

It was fun to go watch, I normally don't miss a sale. Hadn't been to a sale since January. Guess I'll have to go next month, cause my trailer came home empty.

I have 5 sales in the next 9 days. Two of them are stock cows specials. Our cow prices haven't been that high. I hope they aren't that high this week or I will spend a lot of time driving around with an empty trailer.

where is that sale barn at? it might pay the fuel and time to start selling there. sold one cull on Monday but have not gotten the check yet but sale report says most brought around $50cwt. would like to sell a Charlo second calf cow just because she is later than the rest of my cows (March 30 due date) if anyone is interested.

Toppenish stock cow sale was yesterday. I didn't go as it is a 4 hour drive and they only advertised 400 head. The USDA report says they ended up with 900 head. AI bred heifers topped at 1400 and some odd dollars. They had the broken mouth cows I am buying averaging $768. More than I am looking to spend but it looked like they reported the heavier cows. The average price and weight on those older cows worked out to 57 cents.

where is that sale barn at? it might pay the fuel and time to start selling there. sold one cull on Monday but have not gotten the check yet but sale report says most brought around $50cwt. would like to sell a Charlo second calf cow just because she is later than the rest of my cows (March 30 due date) if anyone is interested.
That's Fairview, IL. They always have a strong market, but last night was extreme.
The buyers like big blk cows. I sold a mrkt cow yesterday morning at their packer sale. Weighed over 1,300lb, brought .54. It would have taken $800-900 to get a lot of those bred cows off the scale.
With the exception of about a dozen red Angus and Hereford cows every thing else in the sale was either black or black white face.

Dammmm blacks. Should I load up all my black grandma cows for this weeks bred sale? I blew my Trump checks repairing abused equipment.

Last edited:

Latest posts