Some young Hereford cows, heifers & calves

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I haven't posted much here for some time. We have had a very dry summer, for SW WI, and still need rain. However I took a couple pictures the other day as I moved them to a pasture that has had a long rest and some growth.

These are some young commercial cows and mostly April calves along the lines of what I am trying to develop.

This is a young cow with her 2nd calf. This steer should be close to my 50% of dam weight at weaning goal. the steer is showing the length I am looking for. Long and low. Lots of rib.

IMG_1084_Youngcowandhercalf092012_zpsf21ed944.jpg

This is a young cow with a bred heifer behind her. Mine calve in late March through April.

IMG_1090_Youngcowandbredheifer092012_zps0cae734b.jpg

This is a young (170 days old in the photo) retained bull calf I am planning on using on some of my cows next year in my "linebreeding" experiment to get to 1200 lb cows like his dam but with some beef like his sire.

IMG_1083_bullcalf23092012_zps40cf869a.jpg

Nothing special but they are coming along. No creep, just mama and grass. fwiw.

Jim

I really like that cow in the foreground in your top picture, is she home raised or purchased?

The ones in the foreground on both cow pics are all home bred, born and raised. I like that one too. She is very close to the direction I want them all to go. I don't know if you can purchase many quite like her - long, low, good disposition, good udder, 1200 to 1300 lb range and should wean a 650 lb 205 day calf in a tough, dry year with no creep. The grass in these pics is the best forage they've had in front of them since spring.

Jim

Thank you for the kind words, bigbull & denvermartin. All of the pictured young cows, heifer and calves are sired by my Huth bulls, T021 & U070.

Jim

Latest posts