Some ugly cow/bull pics

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz":3td3vatn said:
Cope - Central Va, the western part of it. Between Charlottesville and Staunton.

LA - The bull's the only one leaving. Poor disposition.

Maybe you need a good dispositon Red Poll bull

Nice group of cattle

nortexsook":1v93b7da said:
Man, the crappy cattle people post on here is amazing.

I hope you got those fellas for a discount at the sale barn.

The best I can see is making a quick turnaround buck or two, surely they aren't permanent breeding cattle?

The only TWO things wrong with those cows is that they are shaggy (because it is JANUARY!!!) and they don't belong too me (darn now you got me violating that 10th commandment again!).

nortexsook":zt9wni2o said:

The best I can see is making a quick turnaround buck or two, surely they aren't permanent breeding cattle?
Seems like ya could have been a tad more tactful for your first post. Just my opinion.

cfpinz - well what a turn-around. Was down to 3 degrees last night, got a few inches of the purdy white stuff.
Felt so bad for the "close up preggies" (5 head). When I put the two "ready" ladies in the barn, their ankles were about 4 inches packed with frozen mud from around the feeder :mad:
As much as I love the snow, I'm hoping we don't get much for a few days to get that deeeeeppp mud frozen up. Of course, next time I feed hay, I'll move the feeder out of the mucky area that they churned up so bad. Running out of room to MOVE feeders TO.

Bullbuyer - Wouldn't mind a little snow but yall can keep the rest of it. :lol:

Brandon - I'll run them up in the chute and shave everybody tonight if you think that will help. ;-) Supposed to be in the teens tonight.

I can sympathize with you Jeanne, pretty tired of moving those rings around myself.

cfpinz

Great looking herd. I sometimes visit the salesbarn at Ewing and drive by a lot of country that looks like scenery in the third picture. I really enjoy the drive there. There is a little feed store next to the salesbarn that has a brand of minerals that I really like, so I head that way about once a month on a Saturday morning and check out whats going through the sale while I'm there. Virginia cattlemen seem to know what they're doing.

Kind of strange to see green...we went from brown to white and our Simmi cattle all have nice little icicles hanging from their curls. Great looking group of cattle.

Hasbeen":38p0sahw said:
Virginia cattlemen seem to know what they're doing.

On average, I tend to disagree. There are a lot of mongrel herds around here, more so than really nice herds. My cattle are sure not the best around by any means, but they're a lot better than they were five years ago. Most of that is from not buying replacement females, I raise about 90% of them myself now. The most uniform functional cattle that I've seen were in the Wyoming/Nebraska region, very impressive stock on average in that area. I have yet to see the Dakotas or Montana, but I've seen some nice pictures from that region. In general the eastern cattle tend to be less uniform than their western counterparts, but there are many exceptions to this. I'm not dogging anyone's cattle, mine fit in that group, too. We all do what works for us, might not work for the next guy.

cfpinz

I like your herd. I really like that brown cow. Can you tell me about her? Pretty scenery also.

Gate Opener":d2fs9vkv said:
I like your herd. I really like that brown cow. Can you tell me about her? Pretty scenery also.

Those are just the nice ones, I hide the ugly ones. :lol: The brown cow laying down is 5/8 BA, 1/8 Simm, and 1/4 Char. Off the top of my head she is around 10 years old, but she is close to 14 months from her last calf but starting to spring. She will most likely be available this fall if you're interested. :lol:

cfpinz

Gate Opener":4f9qre9r said:
:D

Do you think age caused her to breed back late?

Is BA Black Angus?

Correct, Black Angus. Age - possibly, but I don't consider 10 old. Probably has more to do with her being a heavy milker and losing a lot of condition while nursing, she alway has. There's a couple of her daughters around out of angus bulls and they seem to hold up better but still milk well. Plus she's on my schit list, she dropped last year's calf in the creek, but then wound up weaning him off around 675lbs (~250 days). She's paid her way.

cfpinz

nortexsook":1nvdsts9 said:

Seems like someone has a brand new alter ego.
hummmmmmm!!! Wonder who it is??? :?:
Might get interesting :eek:

lilmac":1exr6vit said:
nortexsook":1exr6vit said:

Seems like someone has a brand new alter ego.
hummmmmmm!!! Wonder who it is??? :?:
Might get interesting :eek:

Yes, this is the only other quote I found from this knowledgeable person:

Joy in Texas wrote:
Oh yeah that would be a good cross. I'm not sure who bought him. But I think they got a good bull. He could go on just about anything.
My paint bull that I have has the same body style. He is on my 3 limo's and cross bred cows. They should start calving the end of this month and feb. I can't wait.

nortexsook wrote:
On your three cows? What a cattleman/woman!!!

And we wonder why we have such mongrelized cattle running around.