Some Turkeys for you Turkeys

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
The first sign that winter might actually end for me is when I see the toms and hens start to join up. Mind you, this is not a sign of spring, just a sign that winter might end some day. Here's what I saw when I walked over the ridge today.

This is a sight I dont enjoy seeing in the pasture with 5 calves less than 3 weeks old but after haltering a calf and pulling it out of the pasture today, I can say that any coyote that wants to mess with those cows has got some guts.

Caustic Burno":1z990kf4 said:
Cool I love to hunt them. I have just as much fun calling them in.

CB, I've only been hunting them for 3 years because I never thought there could possibly be much sport in it given how many we have. How wrong I was! Calling them in is about as great a thrill ride as I can handle for a half hour.

artesianspringsfarm":1nzsf39f said:
Calling them in is about as great a thrill ride as I can handle for a half hour.
Boy ain;t that the truth.

artesianspringsfarm":52xjb5ln said:
Caustic Burno":52xjb5ln said:

CB, I've only been hunting them for 3 years because I never thought there could possibly be much sport in it given how many we have. How wrong I was! Calling them in is about as great a thrill ride as I can handle for a half hour.

One of the toughest spots I ever hunted was a stand of woods next to a peanut field. There were actually so many turkeys in that stand of timber you couldn't bat an eyelid without being discovered. Never fired a shot that morning.

Caustic Burno":15pqy0qf said:
artesianspringsfarm":15pqy0qf said:
Caustic Burno":15pqy0qf said:

One of the toughest spots I ever hunted was a stand of woods next to a peanut field. There were actually so many turkeys in that stand of timber you couldn't bat an eyelid without being discovered. Never fired a shot that morning.
Turkeys are more difficult to bag that most people realize, but they sure are good eating!

TCRanch":2lsnzhk9 said:
We've been overrun with turkeys the past few years but neither of us hunt 'em.

Helloooo, Ladies! (then hens were only mildly impressed)
Same here TC but love to see them. Got about 25 that started coming out into the pasture last week. First I had seen in several months.

Bestoutwest":wy511yqj said:
Do they taste different than commercial turkeys?
The wild Turkey's I've eaten are noticeably tougher than their domestic cousins. Due to this, we usually prepare & deep fry the breast meat, like you would chicken nuggets. The remainder of the bird is cooked in the crock pot & shredded, but has lots of tendons & such.

Latest posts