some Show related questions

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
Ive seen rolled show halters and flat halters..leather of course..which one is acceptable? is one really more for a breed or type of cattle?

Show sticks..Valley Vet had an adjustable one.that went from 30 something inches to 54 inches. has anyone used one of these? are they good? hold up? or should I just buy a regular "sullivan's" type fiberglass stick?

Feed- Ive seen alot of suppliments for show cattle that help them gain weight and bloom..what are some good ones for a almost 8 month old heifer..that wont be shown til September of this year?

Thanks
Sarah

spinandslide":2fb1589g said:
Ive seen rolled show halters and flat halters..leather of course..which one is acceptable? is one really more for a breed or type of cattle?

Usually, rolled are for heifers and steers, and the flat-nosed are for bulls. Of course, I have seen heifers with the flat and bulls with the rolled. Typically, if you're unsure, go with the rolled. Black halter if your animal is black. Brown if its brown/red.

Show sticks..Valley Vet had an adjustable one.that went from 30 something inches to 54 inches. has anyone used one of these? are they good? hold up? or should I just buy a regular "sullivan's" type fiberglass stick?

I am not sure about the durability of the adjustable type. Probably similar to any other show stick. If you have exhibitors of different sizes, then the adjustable would make the most sense. I would go with the Aluminum ones from Sullivans. They are light weight and tough. If they get bent you can usually get them pretty close to straight. The fiberglass one, to me, typically don't hold up as long as the aluminum ones. Less flex for bending, being leaned against and stepped on.

Feed- Ive seen alot of suppliments for show cattle that help them gain weight and bloom..what are some good ones for a almost 8 month old heifer..that wont be shown til September of this year?

Thanks
Sarah

I like Showbloom. We see a pretty good improvement in bloom and coat quality when using it versus not using. Plus, we haven't had any get too fat as a direct result of using Showbloom.

If you really need to put some weight on them, I like Showmaster PowerPhat. I don't typically use that on heifers though, but have in special cases.

Ryan

Ryan":227sw5l7 said:
spinandslide":227sw5l7 said:

Usually, rolled are for heifers and steers, and the flat-nosed are for bulls. Of course, I have seen heifers with the flat and bulls with the rolled. Typically, if you're unsure, go with the rolled. Black halter if your animal is black. Brown if its brown/red.

I am not sure about the durability of the adjustable type. Probably similar to any other show stick. If you have exhibitors of different sizes, then the adjustable would make the most sense. I would go with the Aluminum ones from Sullivans. They are light weight and tough. If they get bent you can usually get them pretty close to straight. The fiberglass one, to me, typically don't hold up as long as the aluminum ones. Less flex for bending, being leaned against and stepped on.

Thanks
Sarah

I like Showbloom. We see a pretty good improvement in bloom and coat quality when using it versus not using. Plus, we haven't had any get too fat as a direct result of using Showbloom.

If you really need to put some weight on them, I like Showmaster PowerPhat. I don't typically use that on heifers though, but have in special cases.

Ryan

Ryan
Thank you so much for the information! now I know what to look for on my shopping trip this weekend!

:)
Sarah

spinandslide":18tn1had said:

Six of one or half a dozen of the other. Either way is acceptable. We use all rolled because we think they look better. They are more expensive though. Some people use all flats. We personally prefer brown with brass fittings, and these are quite versatile and look good on any animal almost, but I will say the black with silver fittings do look good on black cattle

Never used one. Only thing I'll say about show sticks, the ones with the blunted hook on the end arent all that great I've found, I like the sharper ones, they prefer to be scratched with those. But really, as long as you can move the feet and scratch them with it, its fine. One of the prominant cattle breakers and fitters here uses a wooden stick with a screw in the end of it.

For an 8 mth old heifer to gain weight, I'd put her on a good heifer developer pellet/grain. To bloom and improve the coat, any horse feed with lots of molasses.

Have fun and good luck, keep us posted!

Thanks
Sarah

thank you Keren!

I will have to see if I cant find ones with brass hardware..I think that would look sharp..all the ones Ive seen have stainless steel..

Let me ask you something...when teaching patience, do your cattle spend alot of time tied? This is what we do with our horses..but I want to make sure cattle are the same way. This heifer listens to me pretty well, but she can be alittle rowdy when my son is trying to work with her..not mean, but impatient and tries to go and root her nose abit. I know manners arent judged in conformation, but they are in showmanship and besides all that, I want a well mannered calf.

I know it takes time and patience above all, but Im wondering if she spent some time talking to a pole :) she might learn some patience?

tks
Sarah

Keren":izzqyl8l said:
One of the prominant cattle breakers and fitters here uses a wooden stick with a screw in the end of it.
I think I might know who you'e talking about there....

spinandslide":u57tosxs said:
I know it takes time and patience above all, but Im wondering if she spent some time talking to a pole :) she might learn some patience?

tks
Sarah

Yes.

Ours spend a lot of time tied up. We usually tie them standing for a couple hours then let them lay down for a few hours before letting them loose for the evening/night. I've noticed it helps a lot. Gets them used to being tied up for a while at the show. Sometimes at a show you'll have to have your animal for a long time before and during the show. I would also recommend your son brush her and get his hands on her a lot while she is tied. It will get her more comfortable with being still while he is there.

Although manners aren't judged in the ring, good manners are a definite plus for the show ring.

Ryan

I started out with an adjustable showstick and ended up having to duct tape it to stay in place. It also turned out to be shorter than most sticks, even when fully extended. Another thing you can do to improve the coat besides feed is to brush the coat often, you can also use a conditioner like zoom bloom once in a while, just make sure you follow the directions so it doesn't get greasy or anything. Check the skin often for dandruff, etc. Healthy skin is the basis of a healthy coat. Good luck & have fun!!

i use the rolled halters on all of my cattle. this is the "new" look and the flat ones are more traditional looking. but it doesn't really matter which you use. but if you have a pretty had on one use a rolled one.

as far as the adjustable show sticks... i hate them. i had to use one at a show and it shortened on me. it wasn't clicked into place right. and ive heard they don't hold up well. i use the normal sullivans one. needs to be long enough to be able to hit the back feet with out you bending over far or pulling the head around when you do it.

as far as suppliments go... we used oxy-gen a few times on steers that needed finish. and i think we had some of that golden flo stuff too. we mixed it and it would put the finish on them.

spinandslide":1tvhmntr said:
thank you Keren!

I will have to see if I cant find ones with brass hardware..I think that would look sharp..all the ones Ive seen have stainless steel..

Let me ask you something...when teaching patience, do your cattle spend alot of time tied? This is what we do with our horses..but I want to make sure cattle are the same way. This heifer listens to me pretty well, but she can be alittle rowdy when my son is trying to work with her..not mean, but impatient and tries to go and root her nose abit. I know manners arent judged in conformation, but they are in showmanship and besides all that, I want a well mannered calf.

tks
Sarah

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Thank you all for all the good suggestions and encouragment!

I will definantly stay away from the adjustable sticks..I dont want a mechanical malfunction in the ring. :)

My husband I talked about it last night and I think we are going to look for another calf for our son to show. I think his heifer calf he has now got abit behind with her illness this summer..she'll make a good cow for us, but might not cut it in the pen.

My husband grew up showing Simm's and Herfs..he likes them..Im leaning more towards a black baldy..What are some popular breeds that seem to bode well in the showpen? Im not spending oodles of money and may just go commercial, but wanted to get some thoughts on this.

When you tie the heifer - be sure to tie her with her HEAD UP, at least as high as you would have it when you show her. And increase the time slow. Don't just tie her head up & leave her for 2 hours. It's like an athlete - you have to build up to it.
Look for a Simm x Angus. You should be able to find a black, white faced one. This is the BEST cross available IMO. Of course, I'm prejudice - I'm a Simm breeder. :banana:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1k0wm7qp said:
When you tie the heifer - be sure to tie her with her HEAD UP, at least as high as you would have it when you show her. And increase the time slow. Don't just tie her head up & leave her for 2 hours. It's like an athlete - you have to build up to it.
Look for a Simm x Angus. You should be able to find a black, white faced one. This is the BEST cross available IMO. Of course, I'm prejudice - I'm a Simm breeder. :banana:

LOL..
Yes, we will build up her time being tied..

I think we are going to go Sunday and look at some calves...

Found a guy localy who I guess sells club calves..simmi bull on herf cows..nice looking calves, from what Ive seen, but alot of white on them, which Im told is a no no for the showring. Im also afraid when you start tossing around the words "show calf", prices get raised. :(

My answers will be pretty much the same as others. I am one that believes the old addage "when in Rome"
These are my preferences
Show halters: Rolled
Sticks: Aluminum (silver in color only- my taste)
Supplements: Vitaferm Super Champ pellets
I also am an advocate of making them stand for a couple hours at a time each day (tied high)
it builds stamina and patience

We use rolled black halters, the cows are red.

I have heard that the adjustable show sticks tend to fall apart. We have used fiberglass ones, but I thought they were too flexible. I like the ones from Sullivan's.

spinandslide":2sqf5vl0 said:

tks
Sarah

mine get tied every day for about 30 min to 2 hours. depends on how they act that day. it also teaches them to keep their heads up and set their front feet. and gives them some endurance for those long show days.

Just a quick update and THANK YOU!

We've started tieing the heifer up at night for alittle bit..usually while I ride my mare or water or something. Casey, my son, has been brushing her as well. shes taken to tieing well. We also purchased for him a stainless steel 48" show stick, so he can practice.

AND..we also are going to look at some calves next weekend..Sim/Angus crosses. Im not entirely sure the little heifer I have now will be what he needs to actually have a chance at the local livestock shows, so we are going to look for another fancy heifer calf that he can use as his project and then I can put into my herd.

Looks like we are aiming for September for his "first" show. should be interesting. :)

Sarah

Latest posts