Some Saturday Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
We've been wanting to incorporate some shorthorn into our herd and today we went to a shorthorn sale. We're not show people and there was a definite show focus so it was weird. Most of the offerings far exceeded our limits for acceptable BW, CE and MCE, but the people there seemed to want them as big as they come. We couldn't see spending a bunch of money on weaned heifers so we bought two older cows instead, hoping to get a few good years from them. Their own BW's and EPD's were within our range. No pics of those yet, but I took a few of ours this afternoon when we got home.

1705946.jpg

Our bull wondering when the new ladies are arriving?

1705948.jpg

A RA heifer we purchased last spring and are just breeding for the first time. I know she's fat. She only eats grass and she just stays that way.

1705950.jpg

Here she is from the back.

1705953.jpg

Our favorite cow for her gentleness and ability to wean a full sized calf from her small frame.

1705956.jpg

Our next freezer steer, just started on grain.

1705961.jpg

Frolicking in the tall grass while I sit back and hope the pinkeye vaccine works :D

Happy Saturday :tiphat:

I'd rather have a heifer that fat on grass than one too skinny on corn. Is your bull a leachman bull, or is that not a hairpin brand on him?

We are doing somewhat the same thing running a RA bull on Shorthorn and Shorthorn/Gelbvieh crosses. Getting some good calves. Dispositions are very good.

showing71":1gg78s5o said:
I'd rather have a heifer that fat on grass than one too skinny on corn. Is your bull a leachman bull, or is that not a hairpin brand on him?

Thank you, I hope it's a sign that she'll be an easy keeping cow. Our bulls brand is an R not a hairpin but it does look a little similar.

3way, we hope to have shorthorn/RA females making up our cowherd eventually. We've been really happy with the RA so far, now it's a matter of finding shorthorns that are balanced and will do well on pasture. The ones we bought today were raised in these same foothills and the breeder assured us they're "real world" cattle. It's good to hear your calves have been turning out nice for you. We did get one shorthorn/RA calf on the ground this year, a steer. He's a handsome thing but weighed 90 lbs and we had to pull him, he had contracted tendons and his front legs are pretty bowed. All in all, not a great first experience so we're hoping for better results in the future. His dam has a beautiful udder and rich milk, but she doesn't maintain as well on pasture as the RA. I don't think the purebreds are really for us but I do think we'll be able to benefit from their influence down the road.

That heifer is sure a chunk! That's what I would call a good grass fed animal.

But she looks like about 3 years old. Why wait so long to breed her?

mnmt, she was born 10/07 and we got her 4/08. She was still too young to breed and we're spring calving, so we waited until now...that's the problem I have with buying fall heifers :? But then again, I don't worry about them being too small.

2/B or not 2/B":2virl2dm said:
mnmt, she was born 10/07 and we got her 4/08. She was still too young to breed and we're spring calving, so we waited until now...that's the problem I have with buying fall heifers :? But then again, I don't worry about them being too small.

Very Good, Nice to have good size on those first calf heifers.

you have some goodlooking cows.an thats a fine looking heifer.hope the new shorthorn cows work for you.

Thank you bigbull. I've always thought the heifer lacks femininity. But I do like her depth. I hope she will be good milking and a long lived productive female. Her dam is a great older cow in another local herd, I think this year she is 10.

2/B you got some dang good looking cattle look's like you are doing a good job picking your critters something to be proud of. :nod:

rattler