Some Pig.

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
There was a post a while back about the wild hog in the progressive farmer that was shot in Georgia and someone said something about a Texas hog too. I dont know if this is the one or not but i just got this in an email. thats some pig. beefy

The fellow in the pictures is Larry Earley, he lives a few miles from Waco, in the very rural community of Calvert. He has 20 acres of land and on it, a few cows and horses. Mostly it's pasture land that is fenced with woods surrounding him. He is neighbored by a larger cattle ranch.
His neighbor has complained for several years that wild hogs had been raiding his cattle feeders and salt licks. Last month he saw what he thought was a cow in his pond and went to see if it was stuck in the mud and would have to be pulled out. When he got close enough to realize it was hog, the thing made a charge at him.

He had driven his truck down to the pond and carries a pistol in it (as any good Texan would, and I say that with genuine affection). He got his handgun and when it came at him again, he shot it twice and killed it.

Wild hogs in Texas usually run from 100-600 pounds with a 400 pounder being a monster. Because this one had been feasting on grain for several years it had grown to mammoth size. When Larry took it to the processor it weighed in at over 1100 pounds!

The meat has no wild taste, as it was grain fed and Larry is quite the hero. He has fed many fireman and provided the homeless shelter in downtown Waco with a couple of meals.
ATT735050.jpg

ATT735051.jpg

I went to college in Waco, that is only a couple of hours from me. We have tons of hogs on our place. I walked up a group last year that looked like cows grazing in the pasture. 2 of those didn't make it. They were good!

Beefy.. I'm glad that I haven't actually lost my mind! That's the same picture that I was referring to in the previous post. I couldn't believe there were two like that in two different states.

I'm not far from Calvert either.. even up here in Falls County we have a problem with the feral hogs. The largest one I've seen is an ol' sow that was probably 350+ lbs. She looked just like the kind we'd see in a feed lot in Illinois.

Beefy,

Any information on the ghost in the background in the first picture? :shock: :eek:

Docgraybull,
I've been told that that is a pair of granny panties hung out to dry. i guess everything IS bigger in Texas!

That is a big hog. I've seen some rank mean nasty hogs (wild) down here. Even caught a few of them. But never anything like that. We lost a good bulldog to one a few years back and my son went ahead and avenged the dog with his Winchester. He ended up around 300 lbs and was considered a definite trophy size animal. For a hog to get that big he obviously has some domestic breeding. Looks kind of obvious that he does judging by his rooter. Wild ones have a longer skinnier one. Doesn't reduce the fact that it is one mondo boar. Can't imagine us catching him alive unless we used a trap. That one would kill the best 50 bulldogs you put on him.

capt.ny11203212155.hogzilla_unveiled_ny112.jpg

AP Photo

Documentary Confirms Hogzilla's Existence
Tue Mar 22,12:53 PM ET

By ELLIOTT MINOR, Associated Press Writer

ALAPAHA, Ga. - A team of National Geographic (news - web sites) experts has confirmed south Georgia's monster hog, known to locals as Hogzilla, was indeed real — and really, really big.

They also noted the super swine didn't quite live up to the 1,000-pound, 12-foot hype generated when Hogzilla was caught on a farm last summer and photographed hanging from a backhoe.

Donning biohazard suits to exhume the behemoth's smelly remains, the experts estimated Hogzilla was probably only 7 1/2 to 8 feet long, and weighed about 800 pounds. The confirmation came in a documentary aired Sunday night on the National Geographic Channel; it will be rebroadcast Wednesday and Saturday.

"He was an impressive beast. He was definitely a freak of nature," said documentary producer Nancy Donnelly. She said Hogzilla's tusks — one measuring nearly 18 inches and the other nearly 16 inches — set a new Safari Club International North American free-range record.

That wasn't good enough for Ken Holyoak, owner of the 1,500-acre fish farm and hunting preserve where Hogzilla was shot by guide Chris Griffin.

"I need to stress that they did not have that much to work with, seeing as how the poor beast had been underground for nearly six months," he said Monday.

Holyoak said Hogzilla weighed in at half a ton on his farm scales, and that he personally measured the hog's length at 12 feet while the freshly killed beast was dangling by straps from a backhoe.

"As with any organic being after death, tissues will decompose and the body will atrophy, making actual measurements change over time," Holyoak said. "Have you ever seen a raisin after it was a grape?"

Donnelly said the experts allowed for some shrinkage in making their final estimate.

Despite the dispute, this town 180 miles south of Atlanta has already adopted Hogzilla as its own. It went with a Hogzilla theme for its fall festival, with a parade featuring a Hogzilla princess, children in pink pig outfits and a float carrying a Hogzilla replica.

"Our insides were just bubbling," said Darlene Turner, who hosted a party to watch the documentary Sunday night. "At first, I was afraid it might be an embarrassment. But now I wish everybody could see the documentary. It would take the doubt out of people's minds."

wow!

that aint no pig.. that's MR pig! :shock: :lol:

that dude is huge.

jt

Latest posts