some pics

Help Support CattleToday:

congratulations , very beautyful pics . Just lovely little herd. Show us again in seven months. Are these calves from the bull you showed previously ? Keeep it up.

bigbull338":2tldnpru said:
you have a nice bunch of cows there.
sporder":2tldnpru said:
these are not from the bull i last posted. they are from my first bull which i sold on due to advice from this forum. happy with the calves though

Then next calf crop will be even more cute!

thanks for the comments. yes they do look cute at the moment but what i realy need to know is if i am on the right track in terms of breeding good cattle which other people are willing to pay good money for. dont get me wrong its not all about the money but whats the point in putting the time and effort in if its not going to be appreciated. i only have afew cattle at the moment and dont intend to go big time so i am trying to breed quality rather than quantity.

sporder":3li8o0ny said:
thanks for the comments. yes they do look cute at the moment but what i realy need to know is if i am on the right track in terms of breeding good cattle which other people are willing to pay good money for. dont get me wrong its not all about the money but whats the point in putting the time and effort in if its not going to be appreciated. i only have a few cattle at the moment and dont intend to go big time so i am trying to breed quality rather than quantity.

We can not tell by looking at newborns if they will be good in the future. However I think that it is likely that those heifers will not be better than their mothers, because of their fathers influence, but they can still become good. The new bull is far better, so good luck!

Breed and bloodline and even phenotype are all important; but MARKETING is probably the biggest part of the equation. You need to identify your market (commercial bulls, show heifers, reg. females, feeder calves, freezer beef, or more likely some mix of most of the above) and figure out how you can reach out to each of those markets you seek. And know going in that selling premium cattle for premiums is going to take a lot of time. Don't be lazy. People can't buy your cattle if they don't know you exist. Also be patient, most cattlemen know 5 or 6 breeders of the breeds they utilize and they don't casually change their buying habits.

Latest posts