Some old photos.

Help Support CattleToday:

aussie_cowgirl

Reaction score
Here are some photos I scanned today from my photo album.
My 2 poddys. Apparently if I'm holding an empty bread bag there is still a possibility that there is bread in there...
boys.jpg

Monty after eating his and another steers share of grain. Had to get the vet in to cut him open. 2x 15L bucket fulls were pulled out... He's also the same micky mouse in the first picture.
sickmonty.jpg

This is from 2002 at my local show. The bull is Quicksilver Whopper. Probably the animal I was most successful with, in both my and his events. I don't think there was an event I didn't win with him in actually.
whopper.jpg

Guess which one I am....
prs1.jpg

2 of our Maine bulls from the school, you can't really see them but I thought I would put it up anyway.
maineanjou.jpg

i like quicksilver whopper, nice calves all the way thru.

i feel sorry for that calf that has a cut that looks like a chainsaw was taken to him.

one question tho.

why in that "quess witch one i am" are you all wearing butcher smocks? kinda ironic aint it?

also why do you have # on the calfs necks, and not on your back?

again, nice calfs :D

i like quicksilver whopper, nice calves all the way thru.

i feel sorry for that calf that has a cut that looks like a chainsaw was taken to him.

one question tho.

why in that "quess witch one i am" are you all wearing butcher smocks? kinda ironic aint it?

also why do you have # on the calfs necks, and not on your back?

again, nice calfs :D

They call them show coats here. Part of the reason is to keep your clothes clean but I think in handler events it's so everyone looks the same. Some people like to wear numbers on their back but most of the time it goes around their neck. On the card is the animals number and also his weight, eye muscle are and his fat measurement, just so the judge can see. To identify us we have an arm band with a number on it. So both us and the animal have different numbers.

Monty, the one who has all the stitches was my bottle calf. I was supposed to take him as a show steer because he was quite nice (simm x angus) but then he went and ate his and another steers grain and got sick. So because he had to be shaved and had all the stitches I couldn't take him.

aussie_cowgirl":r7c2jyqv said:
On the card is the animals number and also his weight, eye muscle are and his fat measurement, just so the judge can see.

Thats cool.

ROFLMAO :clap:

Love the pics, very nice :D

I'm guessing you are the one showing the red calf to the left of the red under the gelb sign ...

second guess would be the one under the gelb sign

I'll add a bit more detail to the breastplate/neck card thing ...

In steers, the card has the animals exhibit number for identification, his weight, fat scores as measured by ultrasound at the rib and P8 site (rump), and in some competitions his EMA (eye muscle area) also as measured by ultrasound.

In breeding females, the card has the exhibit number and birth date and/or age of the animal

In breeding bulls, the card has the exhibit number, birth date and/or age of the animals, his weight, fat scores and EMA. Depending on the show bulls may have no ultrasound data or only some of it, same with the weight. Although the standard is to at least weigh the bulls. Females very rarely get weighed.

The white coats just make for neat and tidy presentation, and uniformity. We like to present ourselves to the highest standard for the public.

Well done Keren, your first guess was right. :)

Besides Charolais and in handler events no one wears dust coats. If I can get away with breed uniform I will. Man I hate those coats

Charolais handlers do wear dusk coats over here but they are a blue colour not white so the judge can see the animal more clearly.

Keren":7ev4t5p2 said:
I'm guessing you are the one showing the red calf to the left of the red under the gelb sign ...

In steers, the card has the animals exhibit number for identification, his weight, fat scores as measured by ultrasound at the rib and P8 site (rump), and in some competitions his EMA (eye muscle area) also as measured by ultrasound.

In breeding females, the card has the exhibit number and birth date and/or age of the animal

In breeding bulls, the card has the exhibit number, birth date and/or age of the animals, his weight, fat scores and EMA. Depending on the show bulls may have no ultrasound data or only some of it, same with the weight. Although the standard is to at least weigh the bulls. Females very rarely get weighed.

The white coats just make for neat and tidy presentation, and uniformity. We like to present ourselves to the highest standard for the public.

So over there they judge the steers not only by look but also carcass quality based on ultrasound. What a concept.

I guess you folks down under are a whole lot smarter than us here in the United States when it comes to judging steers. Over here we judge the hair quality and who had the best bovine beautician. Carcass quality doesn't matter.

Jovid":350ruszh said:
Keren":350ruszh said:

So over there they judge the steers not only by look but also carcass quality based on ultrasound. What a concept.

I guess you folks down under are a whole lot smarter than us here in the United States when it comes to judging steers. Over here we judge the hair quality and who had the best bovine beautician. Carcass quality doesn't matter.

We call it a carcass or pen contest! The thing is that we've got a lot of options.

Latest posts