Some of the bull calves I'll be developing over winter

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
These young bulls will be up for sale this Sept (start of our Spring). If all goes to plan I'll leave them on their mothers until the end of March but if they annoy me too much I'll pull them off earlier, like early in the week I thought they might drown one of my best heifer calves that came in season and they forced her into one of my bigger dams chasing and mounting her.

I order they are
S36, the youngest but growing well by my bull a Musgrave Apache son and out of a GAR Prophet cow.
S13 by Musgrave Exclusive out of Sydgen Black Pearl cow.
S23 was a bit of an accident, mother/son mating, by my Musgrave Apache son out of a GAR prophet cow. I have sold him and he will be going at weaning, he has a lot of white on his underline up to his brisket. I know the Prophets can have a bit of white, I guess the inbreeding helped it come out. The new owner doesn't care.
s14 by Clunie Range Plantation, a Baldridge Beastmode son out of a TC Franklin grand daughter.
S29 by GAR Ashland out of a GAR Prophet daughter.
S15 by GAR Ashland out of a SAV Renown daughter.
GAR Prophet seems to get a mention a bit there. I do like the Prophets as cows, can be a little harder doing until they mature but always go straight back in calf and rear a pretty good calf with a bit of frame.

Ken
P1020681.JPGP1020683.JPGP1020701.JPGP1020712.JPGP1020716.JPGP1020726.JPG

Ken,
What is your opinion on Ashland? Good/bad? know some people here that are using him but I havent been over to see them.. The bulls look good. The 13 is my favorite.

Ken,
What is your opinion on Ashland? Good/bad? know some people here that are using him but I havent been over to see them.. The bulls look good. The 13 is my favorite.
I've used him again last year and will probably include him again this year. I had a couple from heifers without any problem. They were born with long legs and I thought they were going to be a bit too lanky but seem to have grown in proportion. I have a couple of nice heifers by him that I'll try and get some good photos of. If the mothers feed them well they are well rounded, if they are a bit light on with milk possibly a bit lanky. It will be interesting to see how they develop after weaning.

Ken

Are the mother's bred back and how old are the Bulls? They seem pretty big to still be nursing, that can drag a cow down quick.
This lot would have calved from mid July to August with S36 about a month later in mid Sept. Yes they are all bred back and will start calving from early July, many have caught up a few weeks. We have had a great season here, getting good rain again now, the grasses are slowing down a bit but the white clover is going well, cows are holding up well

Ken

I would swap 23 and 29 because of 23 loin, but agree with the rest of your order. Some nice bulls there.

Do you get your bulls scanned Ken, i reckon you would get some good ema readings.
No I don't get them scanned Red, I can't justify the expense, the cost of travel kills it for a small herd like mine. I don't think they are fair with working it out, I think they double dip a bit. I put my money into doing genomics on my heifers.

Ken

Latest posts