Some of my cattle (lots of pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

oakcreekfarms

Reaction score
I figured I posted a video of someone elses bull, maybe I should put my own up for some judgment.

A USA
IMG_7100-1.jpg

A Tommy boy
IMG_7098-1.jpg

Tommy boy heifer
IMG_7129.jpg

USA heifer
IMG_7115.jpg

2 year old first calf heifer
IMG_7138.jpg

An old P606
IMG_7120.jpg

A young progress with a tommy boy at side (not a good representation of progress daughters, this one's to frail for my liking)
IMG_7141.jpg

Tommy boy's dam
IMG_7131.jpg

Thick, nice bulls! It is entirely possible to have polled cattle that look good, even if it is hard for me to admit it :cboy:

Looks good, good muscle, good milk, add a little more chest depth and clean up the eyes and you'll be very close.

Technically it isn't grass, it is cereal rye. Cows just went out for the first time 8 days ago.

Angusdave- I am from Central Kansas

Knersie- I am taking that as a compliment. I am not trying to be combative at all when I ask, what do you feel i will be very close to. I am just wondering. Some of my cows really do need to have more depth up front which I hope will in time work to deepen out the flank. I am trying to produce an explosive rear quarter, but am trying to maintain a depth of muscle down the outside and inside of the rear leg. This task has proven to be a difficult one to maintain. One of the bulls I use is heavily pigmented, and the other has none. If I could find the perfect match between my two herd sires I feel like I would have something that could move me further faster.

I do appreciate the comments

I think I've asked you this before, but who is USA and Tommy boy out of?

SHF USA is out of M326 x L64 (a governor daughter). USA is a full brother to Tango which was purchased by Rousch in the first sandhill farms production sale.

Tommy boy is out of Progress x R44 , R44 is a P606 out of a Stockmaster 512 daughter

oakcreekfarms":1x6evi4x said:
Technically it isn't grass, it is cereal rye. Cows just went out for the first time 8 days ago.

Angusdave- I am from Central Kansas

Knersie- I am taking that as a compliment. I am not trying to be combative at all when I ask, what do you feel i will be very close to. I am just wondering. Some of my cows really do need to have more depth up front which I hope will in time work to deepen out the flank. I am trying to produce an explosive rear quarter, but am trying to maintain a depth of muscle down the outside and inside of the rear leg. This task has proven to be a difficult one to maintain. One of the bulls I use is heavily pigmented, and the other has none. If I could find the perfect match between my two herd sires I feel like I would have something that could move me further faster.

I do appreciate the comments

Where I think the poll sector of the breed needs to go.

Just from my experience, the more power you add to the hindquarter, especially if the muscle is on the hard side, the more difficult it is to keep the flank nice and low. We need to find that balance between an explosive hindquarter as you call it and the higher yielding traditional muscle of the British breeds. To find a bull that will give you the muscle you want and maintain maternal quality will prove to be even more difficult.

What's wrong with the bull's eyes? Are you concerned about lack of pigment?

Latest posts