Some November Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a good Thanksgiving!
I took some pictures a couple days ago that I thought I would share. It was a real foggy/frosty day, but made for some neat pictures.

IMG_3913sm_zpstnpcjadl.jpg

Cows have been out on swath grazing for a couple of weeks now and are looking quite content. Have one group that has been out on stubble that we plan to move today to one of the two swath grazing groups. Then everything should stay where they are till sometime in the New Year. After that they'll be moved home where they have another field of swath grazing to eat. Hopefully it will be late Feb/early March before we have to start feeding bales.

IMG_3941sm_zps4pbh6flx.jpg

IMG_3929sm-2_zpspljsxp8r.jpg

IMG_3898sm_zpsk3zzps55.jpg

IMG_3946sm-2_zpsyysfttqc.jpg

IMG_4171sm_zpsdaqmwzab.jpg

IMG_4174sm_zpsa95ifyw2.jpg

IMG_4134sm_zpsymkjpwvr.jpg

IMG_4159sm_zps622sbdq4.jpg

IMG_3937sm_zpso6xihdpb.jpg

That's it for cow pictures - but thought some might enjoy some wintery scenery:
IMG_4188sm-2_zpsylyx58jh.jpg

IMG_4109sm_zpsphrzrcej.jpg

IMG_4024sm_zpswx3xsizn.jpg

IMG_3966sm_zpsff9u13cv.jpg

IMG_4091sm_zpso39yaj8g.jpg

Got really close to this group of moose which is surprising since hunting season started the beginning of November (actually Oct 1 archery season started). There was 5 total - 3 young bulls & a set of twin this year calves I'd say. We were well within shooting range before the dummies even moved. Had we had a tag we could've easily filled the freezer.

Hope I didn't overload anybodys computer with too many pictures :D

Beautiful scenery, great cows and love the moose. I was out for over ten minutes this morning taking sun rise pics. What a blessing to have the health and be able to enjoy God's creations.

Beautiful pictures as always. I look forward to your posts. There is some pretty scenery here too but it's such a contrast to your country. Nice to see the world from home. Thanks.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed them. Elkwc I couldn't agree more with your comment - sometimes a person just needs to slow down for a bit and take in everything that is around them.

creekdrive":1hn64ybz said:
I'm glad you guys enjoyed them. Elkwc I couldn't agree more with your comment - sometimes a person just needs to slow down for a bit and take in everything that is around them.
And you never know what you might see so you need to be prepared. About a month ago we went up the road to a hill to take sunset pics. While waiting for the sun to drop we first saw a doe and two fawns about 60 yards from us. We watched them for almost ten minutes and about 2-3 minutes after they left a bobcat came down the road to about 60' from us and stopped and watched us for a few minutes then went back up the road. Got some good pics of him. Nature and it's animals are beauty to my eyes. It don't cost much to entertain us. We don't need to take a trip. Every moment on the ranch is a new adventure.

Cool pictures, and some nice looking cows.

As far as the swath grazing, what type of grass is that? And roughly what is your annual rainfall?

elkwc":306rx0qm said:
Nature and it's animals are beauty to my eyes. It don't cost much to entertain us. We don't need to take a trip. Every moment on the ranch is a new adventure.

This is exactly how I feel! You don't have to go far from home to see interesting things. We always take different routes on the way to/from town, just because you never know what you might see or come across. I almost always take my camera with me just in case, and I always kick myself when I don't because sure enough you'll see something you wished you had it for.

cfpinz":306rx0qm said:
Cool pictures, and some nice looking cows.

As far as the swath grazing, what type of grass is that? And roughly what is your annual rainfall?
Most of those pictures they are grazing barley. About half the cows right now are on the barley. They won't leave hardly a stem behind. They love it.

The other half of the herd are cleaning up some oat swaths that we didn't combine. There is quite a bit of waste with the mature oats as they don't care for the straw and once they eat the heads/grain there isn't much feed value. Couldn't combine anymore though due to the weather and the bins were full anyway. They like picking through it. The half that are in the oats right now also have access to 40 acres of millet swath grazing. They don't seem to impressed with it yet though. I'm hoping it's just because they have never had it before? Once they clean up the oats hopefully they will get eating the millet. Once they come home they have another field of millet to eat so they better get used to it!

Annual rainfall for this area is approx. 11.5 inches. If you include all precipitation roughly 14.75 inches. That's according to The Weather Network over the last 30 years for the weather station nearest us.

Thanks.

Swath grazing is interesting, sure would cut out a lot of work on our end. But if we tried that here (supposedly 40+ inches of rainfall on a "normal" year) they'd be eating black slime.