Some Murray Grey Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
We ended up weaning our calves last week. It is about 4 weeks earlier than we normally wean, but we had to pull several heifers into the corrals and the entire herd followed them. As a result, many of the calves are 50-60 lbs lighter than they would be by mid-November. However, our heifer calves averaged 500 lbs; I am quite happy with that number.

This bull calf is 75% Murray Grey x 25% Angus. He was born in mid-April and has gained 2.2 lbs/day since birth. He is pictured at 5 months of age. His dam has produced some very nice calves for us, both bulls and heifers.
517_bull_5_months_.jpg

This heifer was born during our sleet storm on February 27. She is out of an old Murray Grey sire named Cadella Park Golden Boy who was born in 1972. She was 76 lbs at birth and is pictured at 7 months.
BB_Goldie_7_months_.jpg

This bull calf was born on March 3 at 81 lbs. His sire is Monterey Marshall, a bull born in 1989. He was the heaviest calf by 28 lbs at weaning. He is pictured at 7 months.
BB_General_7_months_.jpg

We had a small group of heifers calving this fall. Two were bull calves, weighing 65 and 66 lbs; the last was born today, a 62 lb heifer.
This is one of the bull calves. He weighed 65 lbs at birth and is pictured at 6 days.
519_Bull_6_days_.jpg

519_Bull_6_days_1_.jpg

This last photo shows the heifer calf.
BB_Allie_with_520_Heifer_cropped_.jpg

Just for reference, here are the sires of the calves above.
Cadella Park Golden Boy: Sire of the 7 month old heifer
Cadella%20Park%20Golden%20Boy%205_zpsitvs5xvi.jpg

Monterey Marshall: Sire of the 7 month bull calf
MontereyMarshall_zpsdb173a97.jpg

BB Uncle Tony: Sire of the fall calves and the 5 month old bull
BB_Uncle_Tony_3_5_years_.jpg

Fine cattle. I always enjoy seeing your pictures. Those Murray Grey's are beautiful cattle!

Those ears on the heifer by Cadella Park Golden Boy are like the cattle I have seen in the early books about Murray Greys. She looks a beauty. I must look up his pedigree again. I don't think there were any progeny registered by him in Australia or NZ, though he has plenty of progeny recorded. He must have been exported to USA in the early days.

waihou":3uab4mft said:
Those ears on the heifer by Cadella Park Golden Boy are like the cattle I have seen in the early books about Murray Greys. She looks a beauty. I must look up his pedigree again. I don't think there were any progeny registered by him in Australia or NZ, though he has plenty of progeny recorded. He must have been exported to USA in the early days.

Thank you. We are very happy with her. Her sire, Cadella Park Golden Boy, was imported in 1974 I believe. He sold for $19,100 to Wexford Farms in Ohio. He is sired by Cadella Park Barcoo (photo below). Golden Boy has Thologolong Caesar 3 times in his lineage and Thologolong Boadicea 4 times.
Cadella Park Barcoo:
Cadella%20Park%20Barcoo%201_zpsneyucxic.jpg

Thologolong Caesar:
FamousMurrayGreyBulls3_zps1617b4f7.jpg

Thologolong Boadicea:
ThologlongBoadiecea_zpsd6ac8706.jpg