Some more pics from our show..

Help Support CattleToday:

That makes sense he is out of Online, but that cow must have been pretty nice too. Lorenzo, have they ever worked out anything to ship semen to the US?

RD-Sam":12zspbek said:
That makes sense he is out of Online, but that cow must have been pretty nice too. Lorenzo, have they ever worked out anything to ship semen to the US?

I have been talking to our sanitary authorities about exporting semen to the US.
Authorities of both countries have talked something (I was told) but it seems the US wants to negotiate other things in exchange (allowing US meat into Uruguay for example but we are Mad Cow Desease free and that makes vet doctors here a little nervous).

Last week I talked to the former Hereford Assoc president and with today's Angus Assoc president and we will have a meeting with our Agriculture and Livestock Deparment to see how we can work this out.

I really need to open markets :cry2:

Thanks for asking

L

HerefordSire":1t9fo2pp said:
I will bet a penny the white leg came from the dam's side.

I think a little extra white is the least of our concerns these days.

Lorenzo":1tvwzlva said:
RD-Sam":1tvwzlva said:

I have been talking to our sanitary authorities about exporting semen to the US.
Authorities of both countries have talked something (I was told) but it seems the US wants to negotiate other things in exchange (allowing US meat into Uruguay for example but we are Mad Cow Desease free and that makes vet doctors here a little nervous).

Last week I talked to the former Hereford Assoc president and with today's Angus Assoc president and we will have a meeting with our Agriculture and Livestock Deparment to see how we can work this out.

I really need to open markets :cry2:

Thanks for asking

L

Keep us posted on the negotiations. I would certainly like to try some semen from the one in the fourth pic. Have you got a registration number so I can keep it in case they allow imported semen?

KNERSIE":280i8k0p said:
Ryder":280i8k0p said:
That B&W cow shown by exhibitor 627 in the 7th picture, if it wasn't for her color I would have bet cash money that she was a Jersey. She shows a lot of "type".
Not being critical, just remarking.

Then the jerseys here as well as those from the jersey islands must look very different from those in the USA.

I don't know about Jersey but she isn't the right "type" for Holstein in North America or Europe.

The beef bulls look fantastic, that 134 is a beauty.. Says alot for the herf breed and why they still do so well world wide..

Thanks for sharing..

RD-Sam":2s59ge71 said:
I would certainly like to try some semen from the one in the fourth pic. Have you got a registration number so I can keep it in case they allow imported semen?

Am I the only one that doesn't particularly care for the set in that bull's rear legs?

George

RD-Sam":1wl7mavf said:
HerefordSire":1wl7mavf said:

The Uruguan judge agrees with you. I noticed the height of the bull relative to the man in the photo. Respect!

Herefords.US":1v47lbcs said:
RD-Sam":1v47lbcs said:
I would certainly like to try some semen from the one in the fourth pic. Have you got a registration number so I can keep it in case they allow imported semen?

Am I the only one that doesn't particularly care for the set in that bull's rear legs?

George
i just figured since he wasnt a american bull, he must be good
:cowboy:

Herefords.US":7silk1ea said:
RD-Sam":7silk1ea said:

George

There is alot more that is right with him, than is wrong with him.

RD-Sam":2bsqyh5f said:

On that I can agree! It's just that I think you can find an American bull with those good traits and a BETTER set to his legs - if you're looking for that type. The same thing for the American bull whose picture I posted, that has a similar phenotype and nearly the same set to his legs.

George

HerefordSire":xxz15dkl said:
RD-Sam":xxz15dkl said:
HerefordSire":xxz15dkl said:

The Uruguan judge agrees with you. I noticed the height of the bull relative to the man in the photo. Respect!

57.5 inches, that is under 7 frame, correct?

Herefords.US":24v6z0af said:
RD-Sam":24v6z0af said:

On that I can agree! It's just that I think you can find an American bull with those good traits and a BETTER set to his legs - if you're looking for that type. The same thing for the American bull whose picture I posted, that has a similar phenotype and nearly the same set to his legs.

George

What should the angle be on the rear legs? It's hard to see exactly because he has alot of fat cover, but he appears to have a fair amount of angulation.

RD-Sam":12t3olk3 said:
Angulation appears correct to me, from what I can see. http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/l ... -soundness

The only thing I see that could be off is that he may actually be too straight in the pasterns.

I thought there might be some disagreement.

The pictures of that Uruguayan bull just reminded me so much of BR Keynote 0035 when I saw him at the Reno show in December 2002. The set in his rear legs, plus the extreme amount of flesh he was carrying made 0035 look "awkward" as he walked. I'd love to see a video of how the Uruguayan bull walked in the show ring. I'd bet he had a similar gait.

Obviously, 0035's gait didn't bother others, because he sold for a nice amount in the Western Nugget sale that week - the sale topper if I remember correctly. But, personally, I just don't like to see that much set in the rear legs in a bull that massive.

Come on, Knersie, I KNOW you have an opinion! And I, for one, would like to know what you and others think!

George

Honestly I really enjoy this Forums...and I learn a LOT !!

What seems a little funny for me is that we have been talking about a bull that it was "just there", he was the first in a line from the angle the picture was taken....it seems he won in his category but he was not the Champion. Nothing more... :cboy:

There are no better bulls in this or that country, good bulls are everywhere !!! And there is not a PERFECT bull, all have good and bad things and will be suitable for some breeders wanting to improve one or another thing on their herds, some will want a big frame bull, some a smaller frame bull, otherone will need to improve the milking ability of their femals, etc, etc.

A good friend of mine, who is a very well known hereford breeder here, told me about this bull that he didn't liked his back legs and his feets...but also he didn't liked the one that won the Championship (me neither).

Thanks for all your comments, they are always enlightening.

Lorenzo

Latest posts