Some more newbie questions!

Help Support CattleToday:

Archer913

Reaction score
Would it be cheaper when starting out to use AI instead of buying a bull???
What is a black baldy? And if you have them how do you like them?

Never knew of anyone that didn't like a black-baldie. They are traditionally the cross between a Hereford and an Angus. Very efficient in the pasture and the feedlot. Very fertile and good dispositions as a rule. The hybrid vigor usually gets you a few more pounds at weaning than the purebred animal of either breed. This is dependant on comparable quality from both sides.

Basically, AI is more headache, labor intensive, and usually has a lower conception rate. On the flip side, you can AI to a top-quality bull that you can't afford to buy for far less than the cost of the bull. With prices the way they are, you can get your money back on a $1200- $1500 bull on the market when you decide to change, but you do have the cost of his up-keep. Personally, if you work over 40 hours per week, don't AI.

I have found it much cheaper to have a bull or two in a Big commercial herd. But if you are focuosed on genetics in a small starter herd than i would suggest A.I.

I AI everything. You get to choose the genetics you want, so that is a real plus. You can have as many AI bulls as you want. I then lease quality registered yearling bulls for clean up. I have purchase three bulls and had bad luck with all three. The last one got his "unit" bit by a snapping turtle, and it couldn't be fixed. (Big loss at the sale barn when you have a $3500 purebred registered bull that they are pounding out!) Only got to use him a few weeks. I find it easier to lease for $500 - $700, and if one gets injured take it back and trade it in. No down time or real trouble for me!

Archer913":2fojmqa6 said:
What is a black baldy? And if you have them how do you like them?

Any cow with white on the face and black for the rest. Like GWH said it typically meant angus cross herf, but there are variations of what breeds it could be. It can also be a purebred black simmental. There is also the term black brockle or a red brockle. That means a cow that is a black blady except the face has black inside of the white areas on the face.

Here's where I'm going to say - it's what's on the inside not the outside that matters. Sounds like I'm trying to set you up on a date with someone ;-) So not all BWF's (black white face) are the same. Just like every other breed and composite there's the better ones the middle ones and the poor ones. But crossing breeds can give you an added flavor. Just picking the right combination of flavors for your taste is the key.

Oh man... now I've got to figure in taste into the whole cross breeding deal..... that's just great.... this is really geting confusing.... Do you guys know if there is a raising beef cattle for dummies book!!! LOL

A good basic primer is "A guide to raising beef cattle" by Heather Smith Thomas

dun