Some Herefords to look at

Help Support CattleToday:

WichitaLineMan

Reaction score
4078518816_7c13c9427c_b.jpg

Neat optical illusion with that post. If you have a scroller on your mouse go to the bottom and scroll up. It looks like the ad is getting bigger or coming at you. It is the way the PERFORMANCE is tiled in the ad.

WichitaLineMan":25a9uklb said:
Neat optical illusion with that post. If you have a scroller on your mouse go to the bottom and scroll up. It looks like the ad is getting bigger or coming at you. It is the way the PERFORMANCE is tiled in the ad.

That is neat.

well i rolled my eyes when i read it... and also i smashed the h#%l out my middle finger yesterday and i think i broke it. makes for fun typing - man!

WLM
page 377 and it looks like there is another couple hundred pages after it to by the looks of it.
here is a thought. back when that magazine was that thick and cattle like those were pictured in it and every cattleman in the country read the thing - makes you wonder what the in the world went wrong when you get nov 2009 issue and its a wopping 88 pages filled with what it is. let's just keep riding that new wave, make that easy buck, and throw integrity to the wind... at what expense? - i think it is obvious.

keep scanning those

alacattleman":1sezm75v said:
that LAD bull some of same bloodlines of Northern ranchers LAD ?

I think NR's bull is a 552 son out of a 8020 daughter. But I THINK that 8020 goes back to FRC SIR 1 which I think is in that top bulls pedigree but I cant see it that well. I may be wrong.

It looks like the first bull only gained 164 lbs after he was one year old? Am I missing something, and if not, was that typical for that time??

Wow, the things some people can read into something. It is saying he weighed 1380 at the end of the Midland Bull Test. I am sure he weighed 2000+ at maturity.

We peaked at 133 million head of cattle in 1975. Since then it has been all down hill to 96 million head (that is a lot of farms/ranches that have disappeared in that 37 million head). It is natural that the seedstock industry has similarly downsized. Also with A.I., the premium bull market is smaller than it was back in the day and a bull's impact is a lot greater than it once was. There is no question too that Angus has taken the industry leading role that Hereford once held.

# of head is down. How about total slaughter weight numbers? With bigger carcasses for both steer, heifers, cows and bulls, where are we landing on a total pounds of production versus 1975?

Wichita, I did not read anything into it; just read what is wrote. It did not say "ending test weight" nor did it reference a test. The problem was that I DIDN'T read enough into it. My bad. But thanks for clearing that weight thing up; I thought it must have been a typo.

Yep we harvest heavier carcasses because it takes 200++ days on feed to get these oxes to ever grade. I fail to see how that is much of an improvement. Of course I think we slaughter more Mexican cattle than they did in the 70s too which pads our total production.

JHH":3tklmyft said:
alacattleman":3tklmyft said:
that LAD bull some of same bloodlines of Northern ranchers LAD ?

I think NR's bull is a 552 son out of a 8020 daughter. But I THINK that 8020 goes back to FRC SIR 1 which I think is in that top bulls pedigree but I cant see it that well. I may be wrong.
thanks... and especially for not rolling your eyes like a school girl
:cowboy:

They look like pretty useful bulls to me-they didn't come off test really that fat. I don't think Midland feeds as hot a ration as some outfits do-we bought a South Devon bull out of there before Lying Little Leo unfurled his R-Calf banner-that bull was probably the soundest bull I've ever had and could really breed. My bull is a 552 out of an 8020 granddaughter-I'd say his daughters are a condition score better an any time of the year than our straight black cattle.

Northern Rancher":1bc3scwq said:
They look like pretty useful bulls to me-they didn't come off test really that fat. I don't think Midland feeds as hot a ration as some outfits do-we bought a South Devon bull out of there before Lying Little Leo unfurled his R-Calf banner-that bull was probably the soundest bull I've ever had and could really breed. My bull is a 552 out of an 8020 granddaughter-I'd say his daughters are a condition score better an any time of the year than our straight black cattle.

Sorry I had it wrong. It was a grndaughter not daughter. Good cattle nomatter.

Latest posts