Some good RED and ROAN cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

good looking cattle Killala. It's nice to see some shorthorn pictures here. Keep them coming.
We too have seen that sometimes weaned calves here in western Canada get docked for not being "the right color". The way we have avoided that is don't sell newly weaned calves. We background all of our calves. The heavier steers are sold at 9 - 10 months of age and weigh between 800 - 900 pounds. All of the heifers and the light end of the steers are put back on grass. Other than replacement heifers these cattle are sold as long yearlings off grass in the fall. By doing this we get well paid for our grass. The other benefit is that yearlings are a very liquid asset. If we do have a dry summer they can be sold and the grass is then used for the cowherd.
As for the calving problem issue: calving problems can attributed to a multitude of issues, breed of bull only being one of them. I have no doubt that somewhere, someone has had calving problems when using shorthorn bull. The same can be said of others using bulls of other breeds. That does not mean that the breed of bull was the only problem. To those of you that have had calving problems using a shorthorn bull, I can only relate to you what we experience with our cows year in and year out. We usually calve out around 500 females each year and we help less than 1% of the mature cows (that includes malpresentations).
Thanks for the pictures Killala. It's good to see Shorthorns from different parts of the world.

Thanks for the positive comments tgib and cypress.

As for the calving problem issue: calving problems can attributed to a multitude of issues, breed of bull only being one of them. I have no doubt that somewhere, someone has had calving problems when using shorthorn bull. The same can be said of others using bulls of other breeds. That does not mean that the breed of bull was the only problem.

I agree entirely. I have no doubt that somewhere, someone has had calving problems with every breed of bull- it's not something that can be confined to one breed alone. And those consistently having problems need to stop and look at the contributing factors: cows, environment, type of bull being used, etc.

andybob":ml8cvie2 said:
I had a neighbour in Zim use Australian Weebollabolla shorthorn semen, those girls could have delivered a bus without a problem :D

We've had some cows like that.. one cow, a giant beast, delivered a 110 lb calf in the time it took us to have lunch, which wasn't very long... her offspring all had other troubles though and we don't have any of that line anymore

I missed the thread first time around. Nice pictures. Don't really care for any of the cattle except the 7 year old bull.