Some getting big enough to carry a brand....

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was just out of high school I worked on a ranch where we calved out about 2000 cows on big pastures. We would tag, band and brand the newborns every day. Had a generator and an electric iron on a three wheeler. Worked pretty good actually.

Just noticed I quoted jtrent instead of Bigfoot.......

Silver..... did they vaccinate later?

When we branded mine everyone over 3 days old got a brand. My brand is E slash lazy D with 4 inch letters. It is a pretty big iron. That brand will be huge when they grow up.

Is it just my old eyes? But looking at the photos it appears the only thing the cattle have to eat is what is
put on the ground that day. I am for whatever works for you.....

Is it just my old eyes? But looking at the photos it appears the only thing the cattle have to eat is what is
put on the ground that day. I am for whatever works for you.....
We are still feeding yes, they have only had what we give them for several months. Do they look lacking to you?

We Will be going to grass with some in the next few days. Our feed areas get hammered this time of year but will be green and lush in a couple weeks after cattle are gone.

gcrkranch, what will those cows weigh, as standing in your pictures?
When hauled to the sale as culls, it takes a big cow from here to weigh 1200. They do drop 150 lbs pretty easy on the four hour trip and the night stay at the yards though.

I would guess a lot of our mature cows will weigh 1250 to 1350 shrunk and standing at home.
Nearly 65% of our herd at present third calf or younger.

We got 140 pairs worked on Thursday and another 225 yesterday. Great crew came to help. We weaned calves and gave the cows their prebreeding shot in the AM and branded calves in the afternoon. Two pushing calves to the table, one brander, one giving two vaccines, one putting in RFID tags and me doing Draxxin, implanting and burning the odd set of horns off. The father in law of one neighbor sat in their rig and timed us. At supper he said we averaged a calf every 48 seconds.
125 in the heifer bunch to do later this week, then 50ish later calves and then little bunches of 10s till we are done.
Our son will be here with his liner tomorrow and we will vaccinate yearling heifers and haul them to grass.

Latest posts