Some Fall calf pictures...

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Took my phone out of my pocket the other day and shot some pics. It has been so cold, I have had gloves on every day and hard to take pics with gloves on! So here goes:
This is a September embryo bull calf. He is sired by Dream On by ETR Antonette L120. His recip already has another egg set up in her for next year, but a different mating (Steel Force x REN Extra Nice).
IMG_2177.JPG

This is a half blood, sired by Beef Maker (simmental) out of a Pioneer angus first calf heifer. This is the one that was 45 pounds at birth, but has caught up to her contemporaries! She is a September calf also:
IMG_2164.JPG

This is a heifer sired by Montecito, out of a first calf heifer (Top Flight bred). We really like her! My son will show her this year and next.
IMG_2171.JPG

This calf is an October embryo bull calf, sired by Club King out of a 3/4 blood Dream on Dam.
IMG_2182.JPG

This one is another embryo bull calf, sired by Built Right out of SOSF Ebony's Joy, and October born:
IMG_2189.JPG

This was our Christmas present! His brother is the bull we showed this year and won MO state fair. His dam is a cow I have pictured here before:
melody_calf_2_days_old.jpg

melody_calf_2_days_2.jpg

I am also happy to report that we had a 70% conception rate on our cows this fall after the first AI or embryo attempt. We hit 100% on the embryos, and the only cows that cycled after the first breeding were the ones bred to the same AI sire. Turns out, we used 13 straws of his semen and NONE of them caught (3 straws were used on a flush, with 4 unfertilized eggs resulting). So we are getting the semen tested. The stud owner has replaced 10 of the straws (I had to pay shipping), so that is a little better. But great conception rates overall. The few that cycled back have been rebred, so a few more weeks of waiting to see if they stuck the second time around.
Happy days for us. We are BLESSED!

Latest posts