Some Days just Suck!!

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Out cutting hay yesterday when I noticed the vultures flying low and circling overhead. Went over to investigate in the pasture and was shocked to see a 2009 model Reg. Hereford cow (with a 3 month old heifer calf) dead. This cow has never shown any signs of being sick, lame, anything! Not sure what to think... looked her over pretty good to see if there were any obvious signs but came up empty. We have never had any issues with Grass Tetany (probably getting a little late in the year for that anyway) and the pastures are all cleared of any trees or plants that can be toxic to cattle. This cow was current on all of her vaccinations.

After discussing this with the Vet, I decided to load her up and take her up to Hopkinsville, KY (Breathitt) and find out for sure the cause of death.

Oh, the highs and lows of the cattle business!!

TN Cattle Man":31ylhguv said:
Out cutting hay yesterday when I noticed the vultures flying low and circling overhead. Went over to investigate in the pasture and was shocked to see a 2009 model Reg. Hereford cow (with a 3 month old heifer calf) dead. This cow has never shown any signs of being sick, lame, anything! Not sure what to think... looked her over pretty good to see if there were any obvious signs but came up empty. We have never had any issues with Grass Tetany (probably getting a little late in the year for that anyway) and the pastures are all cleared of any trees or plants that can be toxic to cattle. This cow was current on all of her vaccinations.

After discussing this with the Vet, I decided to load her up and take her up to Hopkinsville, KY (Breathitt) and find out for sure the cause of death.

Oh, the highs and lows of the cattle business!!

They'll be able to tell you, good call on finding the cause.

Troy, There is just no way I could not know what killed this otherwise healthy cow! We don't lose many, so when it does happen we want to make sure there isn't something going on that could affect the entire herd.

I will update when I know a cause.

I am sorry for your loss.
I am glad that you are pursuing an answer. I am the same way. Just gotta know.

Please update us when you hear something.

Losing the cow is crappy, no doubt about that, but if you're cutting hay you're not getting much sympathy from me on that side of it ;)

TN Cattle Man":10x6falr said:
Troy, There is just no way I could not know what killed this otherwise healthy cow! We don't lose many, so when it does happen we want to make sure there isn't something going on that could affect the entire herd.

I will update when I know a cause.
Man that's a kick in the gut. Be sure and let us know what you find out about cause of death.

No news yet... the results are going to be given to my Vet and he will pass along the information. He called me tonight and said he was out of the office on calls all afternoon and he would call me in the morning.

Nesikep":8jn1ejd7 said:
Losing the cow is crappy, no doubt about that, but if you're cutting hay you're not getting much sympathy from me on that side of it ;)
Yes, We are a couple of weeks ahead of schedule on the hay this year. Just finished up on the baler about an hour ago with the first of many fields. Always feels good to get some quality grass in a roll!

Vet called me today... Apparently the cow died of some sort of liver infection. Was informed that the liver was pretty much ate up! It will be a while until I get the actual report that explains everything... was told that they are looking further into cause (toxins, etc.). If there is any good news, it was a relief to know that it isn't anything contagious to the rest of the herd!

More to follow...

TN Cattle Man":3ewwcend said:
Vet called me today... Apparently the cow died of some sort of liver infection. Was informed that the liver was pretty much ate up! It will be a while until I get the actual report that explains everything... was told that they are looking further into cause (toxins, etc.). If there is any good news, it was a relief to know that it isn't anything contagious to the rest of the herd!

More to follow...
Hmmmm, might been a drinker. Seriously, sorry for the loss. Good to know it ain't communicable.

Good to know it wasn't something contagious. BTW - if you ever find dead cows with their hooves about 20 feet from the corpses .... its lightening. That sucks too.

Jogeephus":3k5714cf said:
Good to know it wasn't something contagious. BTW - if you ever find dead cows with their hooves about 20 feet from the corpses .... its lightening. That sucks too.

If the wire from about 15 panels of fence is gone right beside the dead cow is a pretty good sighn of lightning too.

Jogeephus":2vmj0uzp said:
Lost a cow about 5 years ago to a lightening strike... Talk about something you won't soon forget! She had blood coming out of every orifice she had. Also smelt burnt!!

Update on the Cow:

I just received the final report from Murray State University Breathitt Veterinary Center. A little side-note to this, it was a pleasure talking to CT's own Dr. Lucky Pittman (Lucky_P) during this process in which he kept me very informed.

General Results:

"An adult cow in acceptable body condition was submitted for necropsy and testing. The animal was moderately autolytic. There was a focal 1 cm abrasion over the right ilium which penetrated the skin. Minimal tissue reaction was associated with this. Lungs were slightly congested while the heart was normal. The liver had multiple, random, variable sized (1-2 cm) round areas of caseous to dry necrosis. These occurred throughout the organ. Kidney's were normal while the gastrointestinal tract had no significant changes."

Dx: Necrotizing hepatitis

Comments: This is bacterial in origin and would not be considered a herd problem

Histopathology:

"Lung sections are autolytic. The liver has large areas of infarcted to coagulative necrotic changes. Only shadows of the cells remain in the area. On the periphery of the change sinusoids are expanded by neutrophilis with a few mononuclear inflammatory cells. Where portions of the hepatic parenchyma remain there are still smaller foci of coagulative necrosis. Neutrophils expand the sinusoids. Kidney sections have a few small aggregates of lymphocytes and plasma cells in the interstitial regions of the cortex. Other changes are not noted. Intestines are autolytic."

Dx: Severe subacute multifocal necrotizing hepatitis.

Comments: Changes in the liver as those seen in this animal generally originate from the intestinal tract. The origin was not found during the postmortem exam. Lack of the ability to culture a pathogen can be due to the age of the lesion or possibly due to growth of the anaerobic bacteria.

TennesseeTuxedo":3861i0qs said:
So in layman's terms this means what?
Shyt Happens!!!!

Just one of those things that happened to this particular cow. Usually you would see this type of liver damage in dairy cows where they have been pushed hard on high grain rations and such. Sometimes stuff 'just happens'...or, at least, we're unable to explain why...
With all those liver abscesses, there most certainly was some damage/ulceration somewhere in the GI tract (usually rumen, but could be anywhere) that allowed entry of bacteria into the portal bloodstream...1st stop - Liver!