Some days are better than other days

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Rack Rancher

Reaction score
So, I finally got my calves shipped today. Traditionally, they usually get shipped in the 2nd or 3rd week of November. This year we had a snowstorm in the 2nd week of November. Lots of snow. Filled up my small pen that leads to the chute. Then it melted and froze. It was three feet deep in places. I spent my day Saturday taking the snow out in 1.5' x 1.5' x 2' blocks. the builder in me wanted to build an igloo but I was too busy shovelling. 5 hours later, I had cleared what I thought was a fairly respectable path through the snow. I didn't clear the whole pen, but left a 3 1/2' wall along one side that should act as an alleyway. Well, up here we have mandatory ID. That means that every calf that leaves your yard needs to be tagged. So about the beginning of October, I tagged all my calves. I went and did a count today. Four tags missing already. So time to re-tag. The first two calves go in. Easy as pie. 5 minutes max. Then comes steer number 3. Doesn't like my snow alleyway. Jumps up and over and around and back out and once he's learned this trick, he will absolutely not go up the chute and so we try steer #4. He thinks the 4 1/2' walls of the alleyway are a challenge to see how high he can jump and of course because he is up, he turns himself the opposite way of the headgate several times. Finally, we rope him and tag him. Okay, back to steer #3. What good exercise this is. Over the snow alleyway, back into the pen, repeat and repeat and repeat again. Pretty tiring, but finally we get ourselves positioned just right and amazingly he goes right into the headgate. So, two calves in five minutes and two in just over an hour. So the vet shows up to preg check. First one is open. I had a bad feeling right at that point. Not a good omen. But out of twenty three, we get two heiferettes and one replacement that comes in open. Only 4 out of twenty three and every one I could have found an excuse to cull anyway. So next its time for the winter beef. Pick two. I had intended to send in one steer and one cow that had aborted her calf last winter, but she came in bred and I've got my pick of two heiferettes to fill my freezer so said cow gets a pass this year. The cattle buyer shows up and we load up our calves and open cows. Next we get to load up the steer and the open heifer onto the cattle rack. But look, the steer has discovered that if he jumps real high and comes down on the top rail of the fence, it breaks. So now he's in the bull pen and I'm chasing him through snow that is between 1 -3' deep. I waste about twenty minutes doing this and manage to twist my knee while I'm at it but finally he goes through the gate and jumps over the 5' separation between the two pens. Good thing the inside pen is all steel lined. So after some hesitation, we finally get the pair of them loaded onto the cattle rack and delivered to the abattoir. I'm really looking forward to eating that steer. I'm really stiff and sore tonight. So, now I'm having a couple of pretty stiff drinks. Some days are better than other days. I'm hoping the cheque tomorrow will make it all worthwhile.

Cattle Rack, please don't misunderstand this but, :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: been there, done that, got the t-shirt! When you are dining on the first package of steaks from that critter remember this day, the next bite WILL taste better than the previous! ;-)

ohh @#$@, sounds like a full day... and pretty good eatin's on the way. thank goodness no one is seriously hurt.. take care, donna

Oh, the best part was when I was running that steer around the bull pen and the neighbor was yelling encouragement. 'Just keep going. You're wearing him down'. I'm thinking, who spends more time running through the snow, Me or the steer? Oh well. All's well that ends well.

The mental picture of that adventure is really quite entertaining, calf catching, not the shoveling part :lol: :lol: .
I was surprized this morning with a falsh of brown followled by black running past my office window, that color combination raises a red flag quickly.
Thank goodness we covered Susie's rose bushes with straw, a half dozen heifers were having a mid morning snack in the front lawn. Only took a bucket of corn to get them penned again. Have to make a better gate latch, still don't know how they opened it or why the older cows didn't follow them.
Hope that you are feeling better and that you enjoy the jumper.
Dave Mc

msscamp":1oxor5wg said:
Cattle Rack, I hope you're feeling better today. How's the knee?

Knee actually feels not too bad today. Of course I wasn't chasing anything today, so haven't really had a chance to test it. Hopefully, it will all be worthwhile when I pick up my cheque tomorrow morning. Good Luck.

Cattle Rack Rancher":1j6bd5zj said:
msscamp":1j6bd5zj said:
Cattle Rack, I hope you're feeling better today. How's the knee?

Knee actually feels not too bad today. Of course I wasn't chasing anything today, so haven't really had a chance to test it. Hopefully, it will all be worthwhile when I pick up my cheque tomorrow morning. Good Luck.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed! That would be too cool!

Cattle Rack Rancher":295davlh said:
Oh, the best part was when I was running that steer around the bull pen and the neighbor was yelling encouragement. 'Just keep going. You're wearing him down'. I'm thinking, who spends more time running through the snow, Me or the steer? Oh well. All's well that ends well.

Sounds like something my mother would say to me! :lol: It's always the one not doing the running who is so encouraging. We have a cow that got to stay because she jumped out of the corral as a heifer. She's the nicest cow in the world - you can walk up and pat her on the field. In the corral she goes nuts - claustraphobia I guess.
I can't believe you lost so many tags. We've had a great time with those RFID tags they seem to stay on.

The cheque was actually a few hundred bucks higher than what I was hoping for, although I always try to be a little pessimistic so I won't be disappointed. Good Luck. ;-)

Cattle Rack Rancher":3dy0cvnf said:
The cheque was actually a few hundred bucks higher than what I was hoping for, although I always try to be a little pessimistic so I won't be disappointed. Good Luck. ;-)

Happy to hear that! :)

Cattle Rack Rancher":3thug7g7 said:

That's terrific! :D