Some Cows drying up at 205 days, some still nursing strong

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":2h4gmfdm said:
Angus Cowman" You also have to figure that the hfrs aren't on the same nutritional plane as the cows as the hfr is still trying to grow herself[/quote:2h4gmfdm said:
I have a couple whopper calves out of heifers but these are exceptions. These heavy milking heifers are not growing much, and I think they will become small cows. Heavy milking hiefers could be a factor in the small cow/bigger profit theory.[/quote]
Maybe?? but in my experience most heavy milking hfrs that draw down usually wind up being harder keeping cows as they tend to suck down every yr although they raise a big calve but they seem to be the ones that breed back later and later or will slip a calf especially with mine calving in the fall and having to carry that calf and the one at her side all winter

I have alot of respect for SRBeef and he has some nice cows but one thing he needs to remember is that he is running his cows to a creep feeder (standing corn) during the winter and what works for his intensely managed herd won't always work in a normal situation under normal management
He also talks about larger cows having a higher intake that is not always true the only true way to determine that is to fence of several parcels with the same acreage and tons of forage and place 1 cow per section and see which cow runs out of forage the fastest and then you would have an answerr although it would still not be 100% accurate all the time on every cow

in a normal environment a hfr should never be held to the same standards as a mature cow

Angus Cowman":19eviouy said:
Stocker Steve":19eviouy said:
Angus Cowman" You also have to figure that the hfrs aren't on the same nutritional plane as the cows as the hfr is still trying to grow herself[/quote:19eviouy said:
I have a couple whopper calves out of heifers but these are exceptions. These heavy milking heifers are not growing much, and I think they will become small cows. Heavy milking hiefers could be a factor in the small cow/bigger profit theory.[/quote]
Maybe?? but in my experience most heavy milking hfrs that draw down usually wind up being harder keeping cows as they tend to suck down every yr although they raise a big calve but they seem to be the ones that breed back later and later or will slip a calf especially with mine calving in the fall and having to carry that calf and the one at her side all winter

I have alot of respect for SRBeef and he has some nice cows but one thing he needs to remember is that he is running his cows to a creep feeder (standing corn) during the winter and what works for his intensely managed herd won't always work in a normal situation under normal management
He also talks about larger cows having a higher intake that is not always true the only true way to determine that is to fence of several parcels with the same acreage and tons of forage and place 1 cow per section and see which cow runs out of forage the fastest and then you would have an answerr although it would still not be 100% accurate all the time on every cow

in a normal environment a hfr should never be held to the same standards as a mature cow

AC - I appreciate the kind words. I should also probably not spout off about anything here given my meager experience, especially with heifers. Re-reading some of my statements above it sounds like I know more than I really do.

My weaning got pushed back a few days by the snow and cold rain from its schedule today. I will take a look at my numbers and compare heifer performance this year to the 2nd and 3rd calf cows when I get things entered. I am way out of my expertise in the comment about heifer ww ratios above.

I do want to clarify something about the grazing corn - since last fall I noticed some things I did not like such as hooves growing to fast etc, I am no longer allowing ANY retained cattle, heifers, cows or bull to graze standing corn. The grazing of unharvested corn will be for steers and non-retained heifers to be harvested in late April only. I have come to look at the corn as a home-grown feedlot.

If I had some HARVESTED corn stalks nearby I would certainly not hesitate to put cows, retained heifers and bull(s) on those stalks but I do not. Retained cattle are on hay and mineral only all winter until greenup about May 1. The herd is still cleaning up remaining paddocks and what grazing the woods provide along with some year-old hay bales in feeders. Jim

SRBeef":2cqa5gbw said:
AC - I appreciate the kind words. I should also probably not spout off about anything here given my meager experience, especially with heifers. Re-reading some of my statements above it sounds like I know more than I really do.

My weaning got pushed back a few days by the snow and cold rain from its schedule today. I will take a look at my numbers and compare heifer performance this year to the 2nd and 3rd calf cows when I get things entered. I am way out of my expertise in the comment about heifer ww ratios above.

I do want to clarify something about the grazing corn - since last fall I noticed some things I did not like such as hooves growing to fast etc, I am no longer allowing ANY retained cattle, heifers, cows or bull to graze standing corn. The grazing of unharvested corn will be for steers and non-retained heifers to be harvested in late April only. I have come to look at the corn as a home-grown feedlot.

If I had some HARVESTED corn stalks nearby I would certainly not hesitate to put cows, retained heifers and bull(s) on those stalks but I do not. Retained cattle are on hay and mineral only all winter until greenup about May 1. The herd is still cleaning up remaining paddocks and what grazing the woods provide along with some year-old hay bales in feeders. Jim
Jim
I wasn't trying to imply anything about your lack of experience because I think you have some great post and We can ALL learn alot on here when we really will sit back and read
I guess the main thing I was trying to say is a person can not really judge a cow by her 1st calf or any SINGLE calf and it has always been my beleif and I have been proven worng that the 3rd thru 6th calf of a cow should really show her true attributes as a cow not saying the 2nd of 7th or 8th calf should be total dinks but the others should bethe best calves she ever raises
Heck as far as the corn goes Jim maybe there is a way to limited feed the cows so there intake is less
I wish I had some that my cows could graze in the winter heck I might get some big spring weaning weights if I did :lol2: but is kinda hard to get much corn to grow on these rocks and side hills we are afraid to disturb soil that has grass growing on it and these rocks sure wear No tills out fast

Keep the good post coming Jim and the nice pics of your cows
AC

Cows on corn note: I may try to sequentially graze some corn this winter - let the steers in first to eat the ears. Then follow with cows. May be a bit complex for me to manage since I am not there every day but might be a middle ground. I am getting a bit concerned about the size of next springs calves with all the good grass we've been fortunate to have this year. In fact that alone may be reason to keep pregnant cows and heifers off corn and even stalks completely this winter. 4 months to go until calving and some cows are already starting to look like they should have a wide load sign on from the rear. Fwiw. Jim at Dawn

Latest posts