some char and charb weaners

Help Support CattleToday:

jilleroo

Reaction score
Here's the latest mob of weaners to be put through the yards (220 of them). We mustered and branded them last August and separated them from their mothers in January. We trucked them home from the other end of the place for a few days weaning and handling. The cows are not control mated and we branded another 500. We'll wean and brand this lot of cows twice more this year.
The weaners are locked off hay at night and then walked through the facilities - race, crush etc. - to get to the feeders next morning. Their horns have been tidied up now - although we use a lot of polled bulls, we still get a few horned calves.
After about day two, they are tailed out to feed on grass for a couple of hours morning and night.
As you can see, they're very well-behaved for only their second time in captivity!
IMG_1935_Small_.JPG

IMG_1934_Small_.JPG

IMG_1938_Small_.JPG

jilleroo":lrgdeet6 said:
Here's the latest mob of weaners to be put through the yards (220 of them). We mustered and branded them last August and separated them from their mothers in January. We trucked them home from the other end of the place for a few days weaning and handling. The cows are not control mated and we branded another 500. We'll wean and brand this lot of cows twice more this year.
The weaners are locked off hay at night and then walked through the facilities - race, crush etc. - to get to the feeders next morning. Their horns have been tidied up now - although we use a lot of polled bulls, we still get a few horned calves.
After about day two, they are tailed out to feed on grass for a couple of hours morning and night.
As you can see, they're very well-behaved for only their second time in captivity!
IMG_1935_Small_.JPG

IMG_1934_Small_.JPG

IMG_1938_Small_.JPG

Thanks for that Dun. If I try and post them bigger, it says it can't post the images because it can't read their size!

jilleroo":173ltjmj said:
Thanks for that Dun. If I try and post them bigger, it says it can't post the images because it can't read their size!
in the pictures URL all I did was changed thumb to medium

Yes I had medium the first time I tried to post them Dun but it wouldnt co-operate. Had to change to thumb to get it to post. I want to try and post some pics of our senepol/char heifers' calves one day soon so will have another go then. Thankyou for helping me.

Yes, Deen, we hope they'll be good money makers when we sell them later in the year - our cattle are our sole source of income.
The char and char x are always in the top weights and the top prices out here so that's why we stick with them. The sometimes extreme heat is not an issue with them either. We bred our char heifers to black angus for over 20 years but finally moved to senepol because of the better heat tolerance in the calves. It was zilch with the angus cross. We would like to put some good red angus bulls in our main cow herd but would lose too many calves to the heat.

jilleroo":2usm8lwg said:
Yes, Deen, we hope they'll be good money makers when we sell them later in the year - our cattle are our sole source of income.
The char and char x are always in the top weights and the top prices out here so that's why we stick with them. The sometimes extreme heat is not an issue with them either. We bred our char heifers to black angus for over 20 years but finally moved to senepol because of the better heat tolerance in the calves. It was zilch with the angus cross. We would like to put some good red angus bulls in our main cow herd but would lose too many calves to the heat.

You could use Red Poll bulls and not have to worry about losing them to heat.

Calves look very good, and appear nicely settled.
Your facility looks built to last and stout enough to handle elephants, and is equipped with sprinklers! Quite a setup. Sure must be nice to be able to settle the dust when it is dry, it isn't much fun eating dirt all day. :cboy:

Where is the water source?

Is the market strong there right now?

Jovid, red poll just arent on the radar in our part of Aust. No one has them that I know of. Maybe there's some south of here.
The water for the yards is artesian bore water. We have a large turkey nest (aboveground earth tank!) near the yards and just start an electric pump nearby when we want to water them down. Certainly makes a huge difference to the task in the middle of a hot dry summer. We have an overhead draft - one of us is on the ground bringing the cattle up a few at a time and the other is up on the platform working the poles attached to gates. Lots of fancier outfits you can get these days but this works well for us.
As for prices, we were in Alberta in July and went to a couple of sales. We reckoned your prices were about double ours!
We've picked up a little since then but you have probably too. The steer portion of those weaners - if they weigh say
300kgs (660lbs?) should fetch at least 220c kg which is a $1 a lb. Bet you're getting more than that!!! (Check my maths there though....could be dodgy)

Latest posts