Some Calving Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Sun came out for awhile today- got to 45- and altho it was a bitter south wind it was warm enough to unpack my camera as I was checking cows....
Calves better enjoy it- as they've got another storm warning out for Sunday....

Carlaspics3-19-09010-1-1.jpg

Babies getting out of the wind....
Carlaspics3-19-09011-1-1.jpg

Guess which one is my momma?
Carlaspics3-19-09004-1.jpg

Mom discreetly going behind a tree to feed baby...
Carlaspics3-19-09006-1-1.jpg

Heifer keeping a close watch over her little one...
Carlaspics3-19-09007-1.jpg

A Bannon 730T calf out of a good old F1 momma cow...
Carlaspics3-19-09001-1.jpg

A couple of buddies enjoying the sun...
Carlaspics3-19-09012-1.jpg

The little Juanadamere 5U heifer calf...She looks a lot better than 3 weeks ago when I found her in a snowbank...
Carlaspics3-19-09003-1.jpg

This calf wouldn't hold still for me- but he's going to be like many calves in this area this year- with "character"- since he's lost his eartag since his ears froze off...
Carlaspics3-19-09009-1.jpg

The twins- 42A and 42B, that I have corraled for a few more days with their momma...
Carlaspics3-19-09015.jpg

On my rounds- I saw this old cow off in the distance with her tailup...I was going to ride over and take a picture of her calving- but by the time I got there- she had the calf- and baby was already trying to get her feet under her...(Love those easy calving type bulls).....An 85 lb heifer calf....
Carlaspics3-19-09013-1.jpg

OK- I'm up ma- move that big lunch bucket up here so I can get it....
Carlaspics3-19-09014-1.jpg

Yep- for as tough a winter we've had and as poor of hay they've gotten, they've done pretty good...And it sounds like winter will never end- predicting another storm/blizzard for tomorrow- and they say the long range forecast is for another the following weekend :shock: :shock:

Old 77 cow is getting to be quite a swingbag- and slipped by the cull last year- but probably won't this year.. I did see that baby has a full tummy this morning ;-) ..

The youngest Granddaughters were out to the house to meet Dexter...Dexter is the name the older grandkids gave to the bum twin I found wandering around- and which has become a bottle baby...

Pij thinks he's nice and soft...
Carlaspics3-19-09017-1.jpg

Chezney looks like she approves of Dexter...
Carlaspics3-19-09020-1-1.jpg

Thank you for the great pictures. I am impressed that you seemed to have ear tagged all of the calves. You probably did not find all those calves right away after they are born. Do you have any problems tagging them after a day or two, catching them or with the cows?

Good looking group of calves...and grandkids!

SRBeef":3azsnzx3 said:
Thank you for the great pictures. I am impressed that you seemed to have ear tagged all of the calves. You probably did find all those calves right away after they are born do you have any problems tagging them after a day or two, catching them or with the cows?

Good looking group of calves...and grandkids!

I usually tag and band calves after I feed in the morning- and try to check again late in the afternoon and get any that came during the day...Before they get too big and fast for my arthritic joints to catch...
I do have one running around untagged- out of a Sweet Old Babe that had the calf hid for several days-and does not like you getting close to her calf when she's around....Some day when the son isn't busy he can rope it and take care of it...

Later in the year we split pairs up into different pastures- and it just makes mothering easier with the cows and calves tagged...

Oldtimer - great pics. Your herd really looks great. They are in super condition. Nice calves & grandkids !!
I'm envious of your LACK OF MUD. There is no way anyone out here can feed on the ground like that this time of year - well, noone with more than maybe 2 cows :lol2:

Latest posts