Some bulls-your input appreciated

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
I admit, I was hesitant to post this thread, given some of the strong opinions some have on bulls and cows here..:) but Id like information.

Im looking through my catalogs, as we will be AI-ing soon. Id like some thoughts on some of these bulls. Im looking for two actually.

The one will be for my heifer that just calved, who is Brangus. This is her. (shes standing abit splayed, hope you all can see past that.
View attachment 2

I have debated on breeding her back to a Brangus or thinking of possibly a simmental, to produce a Simbrah. Have been hearing alot lately of Hybrid Vigor and how to acheive this is to cross back on a different, complementary breed. She calved to an angus bull a week ago and had no problems, was perfect and is a great momma.

Here are two I was thinking about
Lucky Man from ABS (Simmental)
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/simmental.asp?CodTouro=237SM0928

Sunrise of Brinks (brangus)
I cant find the link to him!

The other is my heifer that I raised on the bottle..she is Angus. She will not be bred til May of NEXT year, as shes a May baby, late for me. Im concerned about calving ease with her, obviously, and would like to see a bull add abit of length to her back..am I right in this thinking?

This is her.
View attachment 1

Some bulls for her...Im thinking mabey an angus for the first year, as they have low BW calves? but I saw the low BW Simmentals as well?

Dream On (simmental)
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/simmental.asp?CodTouro=29SM0373

Olie (simmental)
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/simmental.asp?CodTouro=29SM0403

Imagemaker (angus)
http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus.asp?CodTouro=29AN1642

Brightside of Brinks
(cant find the LINK!)

Calves will be used for freezer beef for ourselves or to sell as freezer beef. If heifer, and "good" may be kept back in the herd. Calves may also be used in 4-h projects..so that, coupled with the fact I am small, disposition is something important as well.

I appreciate anyone;s time in taking a peek and offering information. I know the photos of my heifer and cow arent the best, but I hope they will give you an idea. Thanks.
:)
Sarah

Don;t know about the bulls but just going by pictures I wouldn;t breed that pinch butted third heifer to anything other then a freezer

dun":1q7z0soa said:
Don;t know about the bulls but just going by pictures I wouldn;t breed that pinch butted third heifer to anything other then a freezer

The third heifer is the second heifer..just a backview..she was the ill one and is still behind..her butt seems to be the slowest to fill back in since her "near death" experience this past summer..this was her then

shes coming around, Im going to give her time..I know alot wouldnt, but Im going too. I guess Im sentimental like that..goes with being a woman Im told.

Thanks for the input. :)

spinandslide":226kmb5f said:
dun":226kmb5f said:

The third heifer is the second heifer..just a backview..she was the ill one and is still behind..her butt seems to be the slowest to fill back in since her "near death" experience this past summer..this was her then

shes coming around, Im going to give her time..I know alot wouldnt, but Im going too. I guess Im sentimental like that..goes with being a woman Im told.
alot of men got the barn blindness too ;-)

Sounds like you little heifer won't be bred til she's almost 2 by then she should be grown out of her problems and for sure big enuf to breed. Breed he to an Angus bull with real good numbers for calving ease and forget it. Breed the other one anyway you want.

I'm gonna differ with my buddy 3Way and say when the times comes hopefully the little heifer will be a pretty good cow. Can't really tell what her breed is now but the brangus would but a little ear on the offspring as well as a little more frame. New Era of Brinks would work well...good EPD's low birthweight .... on Jam I'd go with Sundance of Brinks. He's used by many breeders for showcalves. I've got several New Era daughters. They hit the ground looking like rats (70 lbs.) and grow quickly. Nice frame, good disposition and good mothers.

Alan":418us183 said:
alacattleman":418us183 said:

This has been one of my biggest problems..... working on it.

Alan

That's where you need to have a couple of people you have trust/confidence in that won't BS you. Have them look the cows/bulls over and see what they think.

alacattleman":3iax0u0r said:
spinandslide":3iax0u0r said:
dun":3iax0u0r said:

I am usually quite proud of myself for being pretty good about being objective with my animals, but this little heifer I like alot and I think she will turn into a pretty decent cow..and if not, Ill eat some humble pie. :)

LuckyMan would be a good one for that first cow. Time will tell about the other heifers.

spinandslide":1fz7axuc said:
I am usually quite proud of myself for being pretty good about being objective with my animals, but this little heifer I like alot and I think she will turn into a pretty decent cow..and if not, Ill eat some humble pie. :)

I tend to be overly nit picky with my own stuff. My rule is if I wouldn;t buy it I won;t keep it. And if I wouldn;t buy it I wouldn;t expect anyone else to either.

I am usually quite proud of myself for being pretty good about being objective with my animals, but this little heifer I like alot and I think she will turn into a pretty decent cow..and if not, Ill eat some humble pie. :)[/quote] dale sauce is great on it ;-)

[/quote] alot of men got the barn blindness too ;-)[/quote]

I don't think I do. I keep looking out the window at the barn and it is still there :mrgreen:

alot of men got the barn blindness too ;-)[/quote]

I don't think I do. I keep looking out the window at the barn and it is still there :mrgreen:[/quote] here's hoping that both ours are, after spring :drink:

Okay, dumb amateur question. To get a Brangus, you add Brahma to Angus for more heat tolerance. Then why make them black so they'll get hotter in the sun? I think I know the answer, but want to be sure.

Latest posts