Some bulls-your input appreciated

Help Support CattleToday:

Sarah, back to the original question.
Your Brahman cow is plenty big enough to breed to what you want.
Dream On is an excellent choice. Super calving ease, great calf vigor & really stamps them with "looks". We've been using him for several years.
Don't be fooled by the "all Angus are easy calving", they're not. Yes, there are lots of EC angus, but there are lots of EC Simmental also.
If you breed her Simmental, you will be able to register the calf as a 1/2 blood Simmental or a Simbrah. You son will be able to show her calf as a registered heifer (if you get a heifer!)
You have plenty of time on your calf.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2g1ed7he said:
Dream On is an excellent choice. Super calving ease, great calf vigor & really stamps them with "looks". We've been using him for several years.
Don't be fooled by the "all Angus are easy calving", they're not. Yes, there are lots of EC angus, but there are lots of EC Simmental also.
If you breed her Simmental, you will be able to register the calf as a 1/2 blood Simmental or a Simbrah. You son will be able to show her calf as a registered heifer (if you get a heifer!)
she's a commercial brangus..?

3waycross":1og9u64p said:
Sarah
Your first heifer that you want to breed this year is just fine and like I said for your purposes breed her any way you want. If you want to go Sim then Dream On has very good numbers for calving ease. But you might still want to consider something less shall we say dangerous for her first calf. Like a VERY high calving angus bull or even a corriente.

As far as the little sick hiefer is concerned it is never a good idea to post a picture of something like that here , you will almost always get your rear end bitten off(right Doc). Give her another year. When she is 2 yrs old have someone LOCAL who you trust evaluate her and help you make the descision to breed or not to breed her. If by then she has grown out of her deplorable condition MAYBE you can breed her if not do something else with her.

In the mean time think long and hard before you decide to subject yourself to this kind of abuse again. I doubt that you are in this to corner the beef market but sadly that's how you have been treated here.

Just my 2 cents, asked for or not.
your 2 cents is appreciated 3way..guess I finda figured Id get the cattle police on my butt if I asked..should have just stuck with the Brangus, as shes what Im mainly concerned about this year.

like Ive said and youve said, Im going to give the younger heifer time..shes behind, but Im going to give her a chance to grow out of the condition shes in now....and then re-evaluate. I have no problem finding another zip code for her, should the need arise...

The Brangus cow isnt a heifer anymore..she calved out perfectly about a month ago off an Angus Bull. shes got alot of body to her, nice big heifer, so thats why I was leaning towards a LBW sim..

Im tough, but I will remember this and not post questions publicaly..Ill stick with PM's.

Im asked alot of times for advice regarding horses, as we have one of the better programs in the area. I never yell, never get physical ailments because of a person's descion, nor do I belittle them for their questions or the quality of their animal. It doesnt matter if it works for ME, it matters if it works for THEM..and thats all there is to it.

angie":349x1v71 said:
spinandslide":349x1v71 said:
Ill chalk this post up to the fact that you feel Im a typical "female" :roll: And leave it at that..
I dont have to explain myself to you or anyone.
Sarah
Thats right Sarah, you don't have to explain yourself ~ so stop. Take what you can or will use, and ignore the rest. I, for one, understand (for whatever that's worth). Animals teach us how to be human. As for the rest I have no idea. :lol2: Just wanted to let you know been there done that and will do it again. Good luck!

Thanks angie..appreciate the post. :D :D

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2fq7u3bc said:
Thanks Jeanne! You are diff my "go to" for the simmi's! Dream On caught my eye due to his LBW and the fact that he had SO many calves place high at the Junior Simmental Show..while we arent as big showing as you, still doesnt hurt to have a nice looking calf to put through the 4-h program with my son.

I was wanting homozygous black, but, after considering it, Id take a brown too..we dont plan to sell our calves through the sale barns and from what Ive heard and seen, that is where the color really makes a huge difference, in price.

Ive seen quite afew simmi's with calving ease comperable to some of the calving ease angus. Im really taken with this breed, to say the least and very excited for the arrival of the SimAngus heifer in afew months. :)

Alan":3ec3lc2d said:
dun":3ec3lc2d said:
Don;t know about the bulls but just going by pictures I wouldn;t breed that pinch butted third heifer to anything other then a freezer

DOC HARRIS wrote:
Having said all of that - I will venture to advise Sarah to divest herself of ALL of her beef (?) animals, take the money and purchase the animal protein she desires from the meat markets, and get a set-up of Rabbit Hutches or Laboratory Rat cages and experiment with her Genetic knowledge of those animals. They are less expensive to acquire, reproduce more quickly, and reveal their genetic results more definitively. In this particular case, it is a "WIN - WIN" situation. Sarah, you will learn just as much, quicker, and with less output of money and labor.
DOC HARRIS

Two different ways of saying the same thing.... by two very much respected members of these boards. And, I agree with them, but it got me thinking about barn blindness....

Alan

Thanks for your opinion alan..I respect dun, hes straight to the point, thats good. Doc, I dont care how respected he is on this small corner of the internet, how much experince he has, his manners suck..period.. and I have no use for folks like that. crapiness is crapiness..Im not going to poke around in it with a stick searching for the good stuff, Im going to avoid it.

I saw your thread about barn blindness..seem to remember the animal you posted wasnt beautiful or a top beef specimen..but she was working FOR YOU..whose to say that my heifer wont work FOR ME, if I give her time? I know her faults....Im not some idiot. if I want to give the damn heifer the time to grow out of her rough start, that is MY choice..IM paying for her feed, IM taking care of her..no one else..period, end of story. and if in the end, she isnt what I need, I have no problem finding her a new zipcode..

FAR from Barn Blind.... :frowns: