Some beach some where

Help Support CattleToday:

TB-Herefords

Reaction score
000_0011.jpg

five below with a 10 to 15 mile hour wind. Atleast I had them in the corrals with some wind break.

sheww buddy.. You sure have some nasty weather up there. Kentucky has had some flurries but no snow fall like that this year.

Those cows look like they are doing fine.

Snow on their backs is not melting - good hair cover.

No ribs sticking out - good winter condition - they must be eating something

No droopy heads, ears or tails.

All in all I figure you got some healthy animals there.

Bez+

Hmmm....

Minus 5 F is minus 20 - 21 C

With wind chill added that is a bit more than chilly

Even this old northern Sask and Ab boy dislikes weather with wind chills in the minus 10 - 15 F or minus 26 - 30 C ranges.

Cheers

Bez+

below -30C is starting to get there for them, it depends a lot of what kind of winter coat your particular breed will grow... I always found a telltale sign of them not liking the weather is a hunched back... a long time ago, back when it used to get a lot colder in our parts than it does now, one of the old ranchers said it routinely got to -40 or colder, at which point they were huddled up in the gullies and didn't want to come for food, so he had to bring it to them... it's amazing how they suddenly all get along and stop fighting when there's a benefit to it!

Nesikep":sva01lnu said:
below -30C is starting to get there for them, it depends a lot of what kind of winter coat your particular breed will grow... I always found a telltale sign of them not liking the weather is a hunched back... a long time ago, back when it used to get a lot colder in our parts than it does now, one of the old ranchers said it routinely got to -40 or colder, at which point they were huddled up in the gullies and didn't want to come for food, so he had to bring it to them... it's amazing how they suddenly all get along and stop fighting when there's a benefit to it!

Where are you from?

o LORD, I am not looking forward to that... it will be hitting us starting this evening. Cold I can handle, but that dang wind, can make me cry!

Cows look like great.... I am a bit worried about a couple/three of ours that were 1st calvers that have not put enough back on yet, luckily this wind is to be short lived at less than a day to put the wind chills down to -25 to -30F . ICK.

Michele

That's coming my way, too, except our illustrious forecasters say it will be rain (looked out the window just now - yup, seems so) then ice then snow. I feel for my girls. We had -15F Friday am, +38F Saturday at noon, it's +34F right now and by this time tomorrow am it should be -2F with 30mph winds. Gotta love winter - it makes you appreciate spring.

Good luck to all out there that are watching this front come in.

Well get ready Mitch2, cause at 6;15 it was 30 deg., light rain. One hr. later ,5 deg., howling wind, can't hardly see across the yard for blowing snow. Even the needle on my thermometer is shivering, and it's just getting started. Global warming my azz.

Global warming: OH YEAH. Were i live, quite near to the polar circle, winters have been warm and wet for the last 4 years. Cold weeks occure sometimes, but not much any more. Normal winter temperature (dec to march) was -20 -40 C. Now hardly -10...At the moment +1 C!!!!

Thats how the cows looked here this morning when the snow quit...
Its up to 16 Below here now- with 20 mph winds- and the weather boys say the chill factor is 45 Below :shock: The old cows have came out of all the coulees, windbreaks, and willows they were hid in and are out grazing now that the sun came out...Altho we got 8-12 inches of snow in the area- the wind was howling hard enough it blew many areas clear...

They are saying this bitter cold will last at least another week- with not much relief...Tonite is supposed to be the worst with predictions of temps around 40 Below and Wind Chills of 60 Below......BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Might even get above zero on Wednesday- before the next arctic front hits....

D.R. Cattle":3jgpa42h said:
Now seeing as how Americans have a choice to live where they want, why would anyone choose to live in that kind of weather?
Same reason you live in the swamps and heat and fight gators and skeeters
I would rather have the snow and cold than those skeeters and gators and all that high humidity

D.R. Cattle":2cgniwsv said:
Now seeing as how Americans have a choice to live where they want, why would anyone choose to live in that kind of weather?

Cold weather kills a lot of parasites! And I wouldn't trade our weather in May for all the palm trees in Florida. I don't tan well anyway.

you just need cattle with good winter coats.. like this one
Moolillooetoct272008018.jpg
... and that picture was taken about a month and a half ago when it was still warm.. she grows an nice pelt.. I wish I could steal it from her!

Cows are good. Today it got up to four below n no wind for awhile. Early last night though they said in Dillon ( which isn't to far away) it was thirtyfive below w/ windchill. They only had about a seventeen mile hour wind we had about twenty five, thirty. I moved those cows five hundered mile three weeks ago. I think they have done great considering the haul to colder country. They have all had good hair coat though. N I wouldn't trade cold country for warm any day keeps parasites and people away. I guess those can kinda be the same thing though. :lol2: Sure don't help w/ the ears and tails though.

I guess the herefords have got it over the continental breeds there... the continentals will basically get "natural ear docking" until they're short enough to stay warm and not freeze

Tell your cat to keep his ears tucked back too!

Latest posts