Some AI Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
We have used lutalyse from time to time for the bred to early's. Getting semen tank delivered monday, ordered some semen. Have lutalyse on hand! After the shot of lutalyse when is the AI ing to take place. As you can tell I am quite illiterate. Thought I knew a fair amount from helping the neighbors out but, It seems I am dumber than a box of rocks. Please help.

you can not do a timed AI on lutalyse shot, they will come in heat 3 to 4 days after the shot, you will have to watch for heat. The lutalyse will normally only bring them back into heat, it will not jump start them into cycling. The shot has to be given at least 10 days after a normal heat.

rocket2222":qeqipo1w said:
you can not do a timed AI on lutalyse shot, they will come in heat 3 to 4 days after the shot, you will have to watch for heat. The lutalyse will normally only bring them back into heat, it will not jump start them into cycling. The shot has to be given at least 10 days after a normal heat.

We did AI for years some time back, but we never used lutalyse (or CIDRS), so I can only go by what I've read about it - and everything I've read states it will bring an animal into standing heat within 2-3 days following injection. If that isn't timed heat, I'm seriously missing something. Heat and cycling are the same thing, so far as I know. Please explain your statement? Thanks!

msscamp":2wlz0u2o said:
We did AI for years some time back, but we never used lutalyse (or CIDRS), so I can only go by what I've read about it - and everything I've read states it will bring an animal into standing heat within 2-3 days following injection. If that isn't timed heat, I'm seriously missing something. Heat and cycling are the same thing, so far as I know. Please explain your statement? Thanks!

Timed insemination is done at a specific hour following the shot. Since a 2-3 day period isn;t condusive to timed AI they are bred on an observed heat.

Herefordcross":1dkz243l said:
We have used lutalyse from time to time for the bred to early's. Getting semen tank delivered monday, ordered some semen. Have lutalyse on hand! After the shot of lutalyse when is the AI ing to take place. As you can tell I am quite illiterate. Thought I knew a fair amount from helping the neighbors out but, It seems I am dumber than a box of rocks. Please help.

Breed 72 hours after prostoglandin even if no detected heat. However if it has been a while since you have done this I would use standing heat to be sure especially if your semem is worth a couple of bucks.And in that case give your shot and watch standing heat (like a hawk a good heat detector is the best AI plan) if seen standing heat is in the Am breed in the Pm and likewise.

Thanks Dun.

Just to add to this, I never have had a cow/calf come into heat the following day [2nd day] mostly the 3rd day, sometimes late in the day, so I normally bred them the following morning, that why I said 3 to 4 days. Herefordcross will be watching them like a hawk if its his first solo run, kinder like that first calf, he'll be checking on them every couple of hours. :D

dun":2xzndxrh said:
msscamp":2xzndxrh said:

Timed insemination is done at a specific hour following the shot. Since a 2-3 day period isn;t condusive to timed AI they are bred on an observed heat.

Thank you, dun, I understand now.

When we use anything to induce heats we do the GnRH shot followed 7 days later with PGF2. Hats have ranged from 12 hours following the second shot to 5 days following the shot.
The neighbor did the CIDR deal last year and time bred them at the proper time for that protocol. I started rebreeding them the day after they had been time bred based on observed heats. I had a better settled percentage then the one that had been time bred and hadn;t observed a heat.

i used lute 25yrs ago to bring 2 heifers in heat.an i time AI breed them to the greatest red holstein bull ever triple treat.an they didnt settle at all.cost me a chunk to get the semen.an didnt get a calf out of the deal.turned a reg holstein bull in with them.an he got them bred.so after that i never liked lute at all.

bigbull338":213zqncw said:
i used lute 25yrs ago to bring 2 heifers in heat.an i time AI breed them to the greatest red holstein bull ever triple treat.an they didnt settle at all.cost me a chunk to get the semen.an didnt get a calf out of the deal.turned a reg holstein bull in with them.an he got them bred.so after that i never liked lute at all.

Aahhh.......... Hanover Hill Triple Threat Red. That brings back memories. :D I also paid dearly for him, 250.00 a straw and I never got a pregnancy. :mad:

millstreaminn":1abf1zd0 said:
bigbull338":1abf1zd0 said:

Aahhh.......... Hanover Hill Triple Threat Red. That brings back memories. :D I also paid dearly for him, 250.00 a straw and I never got a pregnancy. :mad:
when i bought him over 25yrs ago i gave like $25 a straw for him.an bought a 10 straw cain so that was $250 bucks.now i wish id kept that semen.ive been sick about that over 25yrs.

Lutalyse is an excellent TOOL. It will NOT bring a cow into heat that hasn't already cycled. (she must have a corpusluteum (sp?). You need to wait for 6 days after her previous heat before it will work.
If giving 1 Lut shot, she will cycle from 2-5 days after shot. If you give a shot, wait 11 days and give a 2nd shot, all cattle should respond (because they should all be in the proper CL stage) and they generally will stand on day 2. This is the cheapest system to syncrinize your cows.
I always recommend:
Heat check for 5 full days and breed any one that stands. On day 6 give Lut shot to any cow that did not get bred. Breed on observed heat for next 5 days.
"IF" your cattle were ALL cycling prior to the start of this program, every cow should cycle. This is the CHEAPEST way, but takes 11 days of good heat detection.

Latest posts