Solving Long Term Unemployment Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill":1egtudab said:
Quite Simple:

• 1. Stop Breeding...
    2. Get Spayed or Neutered...
    3. Have more money to spend on your outstanding debts...
    4. Priceless...

I think the opposite needs to happen...we need more people. The reason we are losing jobs is because of China and India have low labor rates and everyone is becoming global. My idea is to capture the intellectual markets through patents and technolgy, etc. and take half the week off every week instead of working 60 hours per week (or more), etc. How do we do this? Become unemployed and go back to school. Simple.

HerefordSire":1lr1vi39 said:
Running Arrow Bill":1lr1vi39 said:
Quite Simple:

• 1. Stop Breeding...
    4. Priceless...

I think the opposite needs to happen...we need more people. The reason we are losing jobs is because of China and India have low labor rates and everyone is becoming global. My idea is to capture the intellectual markets through patents and technolgy, etc. and take half the week off every week instead of working 60 hours per week (or more), etc. How do we do this? Become unemployed and go back to school. Simple.
You can't be unemployed and in school because you wouldn't be able to afford school :frowns: :help:

LoveMoo11":1vzvhbx5 said:
HerefordSire":1vzvhbx5 said:
Running Arrow Bill":1vzvhbx5 said:
Quite Simple:

• 1. Stop Breeding...
    4. Priceless...

You can't be unemployed and in school because you wouldn't be able to afford school :frowns: :help:

Come to Georgia and we can teach you how to work the system.

grannysoo":1vxcheck said:
Jogeephus":1vxcheck said:
Come to Georgia and we can teach you how to work the system.

Many people here consider working the system to be a full time job.

My day job (o.k. the one that pays the bills) is being a production manager at a local plant. I have one woman who works under me that constantly complains and brags that she makes more on welfare (she has a flock of kids) than at our plant. How can we expect anyone to work if this is true. This particular woman has left the company before and came back. We hire her back because she's really good at operating the machines, but her "work ethic" is obviously lacking. I realize that a welfare system is the humane, reponsible thing to do - but the way it's implemented in the U.S. is depressing.

I agree Cypressfarms. I don' t mind helping anyone but they got to try to help themselves too. If you want to get depressed, get to know someone who works for one of these agencies that "helps" people and you will be appalled at some of the things that our tax money is being spent on.

Or, how about something simpler. Realize what you got to offer the employment market ain't what the market can bare. In other words, stop holding out for that high paying job, because you can't demand that much anymore and probably never should have in the first place. When you get that lower paying job finally, work you a$$ off like there is no tomorrow. There are plenty of jobs out there still going to illegal immigrants because we, as a nation, think we are too good, too educated, too talented, to fill them and properly work them ourselves. We'd rather do nothing but worry and collect un-employment than accept the fact that what we did for $100k per year is now worth $60k at best and $20k is what is hiring.

You want those jobs to come back from overseas? Do it cheaper and better than they do and thank your lucky stars you have a job.

pwilli3 said:
Or, how about something simpler. Realize what you got to offer the employment market ain't what the market can bare. In other words, stop holding out for that high paying job, because you can't demand that much anymore and probably never should have in the first place. When you get that lower paying job finally, work you a$$ off like there is no tomorrow. There are plenty of jobs out there still going to illegal immigrants because we, as a nation, think we are too good, too educated, too talented, to fill them and properly work them ourselves. We'd rather do nothing but worry and collect un-employment than accept the fact that what we did for $100k per year is now worth $60k at best and $20k is what is hiring.

You want those jobs to come back from overseas? Do it cheaper and better than they do and thank your lucky stars you have a job.[/quote]

That is where we are at present. Steve hates his job and has to live out of town during the week, so I hate it, too. Been doing this for going on two years now. It was a messed up thing but that's antoher rant... He's in manufacturing, so at fifty, we are lucky that he has a job. Can't find one locally.

I think that the best thing to do is that we all have to lower our standard of living. Easier said than done sometimes. We have lost over 30K in income due to the downturn in the economy. We were doing good last year this time and treading water now. Bonuses are gone.

So that's my main beef about this thread. Not so much unemployment but the fact that those of us who have legitimate jobs are caught in the crunch. You still have the same bills to pay and they keep increasing, food goes up, fuel goes up and down, income remians stagnant or decreases and where does that leave us? What happens to the well meaning family who has gone through savings and keeps plugging away? It is happening a lot here.

We are thinking of selling out and buying something less expensive to keep in an attempt to stay above water. A year ago I would not have considered it but now it looks danged attractive.

I remember when people with good jobs would show up 4 days a week, because they couldn't pay the rent in 3 days. Well, I knew one guy like that anyway. GE in Louisville. Union, they wouldn't fire him and they wouldn't fire him cause the plant needed every hand cause production was full blast. And if they did fire him, he could get another good job somewhere else. Man are those days ever gone.

Just my opinion, Lammie, but as long as you and Steve can hang on to the place the more it will be worth. Sell now, and you might have to take a loss.
How would you move the donks to a condo? I'm pretty sure that crazy heifer will violate most owners agreements, although it might be different in Texas.

Lammie, I hear ya loud and clear. We've burned through all of our 401k and took a personal loan out from my grandfather. Income is down 20k from two years ago, and shows no signs of going up. Upside down on truck because prices bottomed out. Company changed insurance and a very necessary drug for my wife went from $40 to $340 a month. All expenses have gone up, all income has gone down. Just trying to tread here too.

My problem is those people who are eating up the unemployment dollars waiting for something to come along that just ain't coming anytime soon. Take a job, even for a cut in pay, because it is a job! How hungry do we have to be as a nation before we stop letting someone more hungry come along and take what is there?

pwilli3":vng8n2tk said:
Lammie, I hear ya loud and clear. We've burned through all of our 401k and took a personal loan out from my grandfather. Income is down 20k from two years ago, and shows no signs of going up. Upside down on truck because prices bottomed out. Company changed insurance and a very necessary drug for my wife went from $40 to $340 a month. All expenses have gone up, all income has gone down. Just trying to tread here too.

My problem is those people who are eating up the unemployment dollars waiting for something to come along that just ain't coming anytime soon. Take a job, even for a cut in pay, because it is a job! How hungry do we have to be as a nation before we stop letting someone more hungry come along and take what is there?

Very good observation, PWwilli3! Being in the contract personnel business, I see this every single day. People that were used to getting $45 an hour, now face opportunities of $25 an hour, if any, and shun them, taking the unemployment instead. Little do they realize that having a job, even a lesser paying one, eliminates the black hole in the resume and keeps their skills sharp. Waiting is useless. Even being turned down is a good experience in that it just makes the person a bit sharper when approaching the next opportunity. Keep trying and it will happen! As to the cost of drugs; one of my meds was running $300 a month at Walgreens. Now I get the same drug online out of Canada for $141.

At least my son finally got a full time job. He's been out of college since May and looking hard since. It isn't in his field, (he's a mortician), but it is full time and he can get benefits. Lots less money than he can make in his field, but something will open up there one day.

I've been applying elsewhere. I didn't get the library position I was hoping for so it's back to looking. I still have a job to go to, but the pay is bad, enough for last year but not now since my husband lost that chuck of his income. I'm back out today. May have to drive forklift for a while, but I've done that, too. I just need to get my foot in the door. I have a degree, so hopefully that can lead to something better if I can get my foot in the door here.

Stoopid things are about to happen in Texas public schools if Mr. Perry gets his way.

That's another rant, too. Probably too political and would stir up too much of a hornet's nest.

Latest posts