solid red calf

Help Support CattleToday:

herefordlover

Reaction score
we had a cow calve today. she is black what breeds not all for shure on as we bought her as a the calf of a cow calf pair. she was breed to a reg polled hereford bull and had a calf with no white does it happen offen. we have had hereford cattle for years and breed them black angus and sum might have not had much white on there face but never a solid calf. all i can say is its alive andlooks to be a nice calf to me thats all that matters

It's all in genetics. The black dam probably carried red genetics from her background. When you crossing Black Angus (assuming your black cow is Angus) to Hereford, they will sometimes throw solid calves either black or red. Had a ratty old black baldy cow, she's always throw solid calves (twins too!) but never whitefaced calves till her last birth resulted into a whitefaced heifer (we kept the heifer and retired the old momma from breeding herd). It's all gamble, you never know what you will get till it is born.

My bull is out of a black angus cow and a polled hereford bull but he looks like a hereford.On my black and black baldie cows the bull throws black and red baldies and even solid red,brown and black calves.One black cow had a nice black baldie heifer last year but this year had a nice red baldie bull calf,both out of the same bull.

Latest posts