Solid brown brangus???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I had a heifer calv this morning and the baby was a HUGE solid dark brown calf! There have been no other bulls in my pasture since she arrived (over 1 year ago) and she has not gotten out. Is it possible for this to happen or have I been sold a heifer that isn't 100% brangus??

Thanks,
Jason

Did it have black rings around his eyes? We had brangus in the past and they all started out this way; not quiet black but very dark with black around the eyes. They all were completly black before weening.

Shataken":11vtgkvm said:
I had a heifer calv this morning and the baby was a HUGE solid dark brown calf! There have been no other bulls in my pasture since she arrived (over 1 year ago) and she has not gotten out. Is it possible for this to happen or have I been sold a heifer that isn't 100% brangus??

Thanks,
Jason

its probably just the calf's baby hair. It will likely turn black when it sloughs it off.

I have one just like that, she was totally brown when born the last week of February but not most of her legs, face and neck are black. Still has some fuzzy brown on the sides. I was hoping she would turn black. On the other hand a I bought a calf/cow pair in December both looked wonderful, was told she was exposed back to the same bull, two days ago momma drops a ghost white calf ! :eek: Go figure. Looks pretty funny out there with all the black cows.

Hello,

Not all Brangus are black,

Brangus = 5/8 Angus 3/8 Brahman

Angus Come in red and black, depending on the gentic line they are derived from you could have had a heterozygous black animal , or two, which are both black, but each cary a red gene, and if mated, there is a 25% chance you would get a red (dark brown) calf, a 25% chance they will have a homozygous black and 50% chance of more heterozygous black animals

I went to a cattle show a few years ago and they had a shedrow of Brangus there. Almost every young calf was brown haired...Its just baby hair. no worries.

Some of my brangus have dark brown winter coats and then slick down to coal black during the summer. I have a eight month old brangus heifer that is just as brown as can be and I have a buddy that has a solid grey brangus. I guess she picked up both recessive genes from the brahma side.

Here is an image of the calf. She is wet from the rain. She is only 4-6 hours in this picture.

DSC01114.JPG

DSC01126.JPG

I have had them with the brown baby hair, but this is plain red hair not the fuzzy stuff that slicks off.

Michelle Pankonien":x2gwg8o0 said:
Hello,

Not all Brangus are black,

Brangus = 5/8 Angus 3/8 Brahman

Angus Come in red and black, depending on the gentic line they are derived from you could have had a heterozygous black animal , or two, which are both black, but each cary a red gene, and if mated, there is a 25% chance you would get a red (dark brown) calf, a 25% chance they will have a homozygous black and 50% chance of more heterozygous black animals
Read this post again.
There Red Brangus out there. If she is any good she could be worth more than a Black Brangus of equal quality.

that calf is red, not brown. you just had some recessive genes show up. no biggie.

Latest posts