Solid Black Longhorn

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Here's another one of our Longhorn foundation stock:

220_Storm_1.14.03.jpg

Frankie":2ffscj0n said:
Just curious, Bill. Would you explain what "foundation stock" means? Thanks....

"Breeding Stock". Purebred registered Longhorns.

On a sidebar: Longhorns are not considered "pureblood" since they originated from Spanish cattle imported to USA around 500 years ago. Through natural selection, outcrossing, etc., 7 Longhorn "families" emerged with more or less unique traits. Now, there are probably only about 4-5 popular families (e.g., Butler, Phillips, Wichita Refuge, etc.). The Marks and Peeler bloodlines only have few remaining.

Most of the foundation stocks of today are a blend of the best traits of the original 7 families. The 100% Butler and the Wichita Refuge families are still maintained as "closed herds", even though breeders use these 100% animals to cross with selected others for breed improvement.

little lengthy response; however, wanted to add more info on the breed...:)

Running Arrow Bill":2qzrw885 said:
Frankie":2qzrw885 said:

On a sidebar: Longhorns are not considered "pureblood" since they originated from Spanish cattle imported to USA around 500 years ago. Through natural selection, outcrossing, etc., 7 Longhorn "families" emerged with more or less unique traits. Now, there are probably only about 4-5 popular families (e.g., Butler, Phillips, Wichita Refuge, etc.). The Marks and Peeler bloodlines only have few remaining.

Most of the foundation stocks of today are a blend of the best traits of the original 7 families. The 100% Butler and the Wichita Refuge families are still maintained as "closed herds", even though breeders use these 100% animals to cross with selected others for breed improvement.

Interesting take, I suppose. I've always used and heard "foundation" in relation to the animals most of a herd can be traced back to. Leachman Lass, for example, is the "foundation" of some well know Angus herds in the US. Thanks for your explanation....

Frankie":1og806g2 said:
Running Arrow Bill":1og806g2 said:
Frankie":1og806g2 said:

Interesting take, I suppose. I've always used and heard "foundation" in relation to the animals most of a herd can be traced back to. Leachman Lass, for example, is the "foundation" of some well know Angus herds in the US. Thanks for your explanation....

Also true Frankie. Probably the "true" foundation stock are the result of the original and/or F1 genetic animals. As an example with horses, "Midnight Sun" and "Allen's" were original TWH horse foundation sires; "Piloto" and "Sol de Oro" were similar with the Peruvian Pasos.

All breeds have their "true" foundation sires, obviously.

As such, I guess I should make a distinction with cattle on foundation stock--those top end sires and dams as well as their top offspring (talking about world class here) and those offspring with significant lineage traces as result of A.I. to the famous cattle; and, to the famous ones with direct offspring for past 2-3 generations.

I have probably confused the issue here, others, as well as myself...duh.

Latest posts