Sold the last 2008 bull today

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Actually sold him a while ago, but he only left today. As good a feeling as it is to be sold out,it means that I have to change my bull development program slightly to make sure I get the 2009 crop ready to go at the earliest possible date. They were born starting at 10 June so it will be a while before I have any ready to go, with my luck the enquiries will start pouring in now.

Thanks Jim,

Its certainly better than sitting with a bunch of bulls carried over from last year and not having a market for them.

Sounds like you have to raise your prices too!

I ramped up a tick after selling out last year . . . this year I'll probably be left with a bunch. :help:

Agriculture is great.

We don't "raise" bulls - sell only bull calves. But, never fails, I get tired of keeping a bull calf around - or run late to sell them as steers - cut them - next day - buyer calls!!
Congrats Knersie - I do LOVE it tho when someone calls and I'm SOLD OUT!!

I do LOVE it tho when someone calls and I'm SOLD OUT!!

It brings up the question, what do you do in such a situation? Do you refer them to a fellow breeder, and if so do you refer them to someone who's cattle are priced higher or lower than yours? Do you encourage them to order a bull now for as soon as you have them ready? Its often a no win situation, you refer a potential buyer to a higher priced breeder and they turn to another breed and if you refer them to a lower priced breeder they are either so happy with their purchase that you lose them as a possible client anyway or they get a fright and turn to another breed anyway. What do you guys do in such a situation?

What I try to do if possible is to try and sell a bull (bred by me) of one of my better bull customers and sell the existing client a younger bull at a later date especially if they don't need a bull soon. Unfortunately there aren't many people you can have that kind of arrangement with.

KNERSIE":2f6yxwn4 said:
I do LOVE it tho when someone calls and I'm SOLD OUT!!

It brings up the question, what do you do in such a situation? Do you refer them to a fellow breeder, and if so do you refer them to someone who's cattle are priced higher or lower than yours? Do you encourage them to order a bull now for as soon as you have them ready? Its often a no win situation, you refer a potential buyer to a higher priced breeder and they turn to another breed and if you refer them to a lower priced breeder they are either so happy with their purchase that you lose them as a possible client anyway or they get a fright and turn to another breed anyway. What do you guys do in such a situation?

What I try to do if possible is to try and sell a bull (bred by me) of one of my better bull customers and sell the existing client a younger bull at a later date especially if they don't need a bull soon. Unfortunately there aren't many people you can have that kind of arrangement with.
There is no better marketing than Sold Out. Those who want your bulls will wait. Those who cannot wait should find their own. I know this does not sound good but people are creatures of habbit. Once they find something they like they tend to stick with it. If you send a customer to someone else that has the quality that you have then he may have aquired one of your customers permanently.

If you send a customer to someone else that has the quality that you have then he may have aquired one of your customers permanently.

I know it sounds petty, but that is exactly my problem, but on the other hand we all have a responsibility towards the breed of our choice. Its still better to see someone buy a hereford bull from a fellow breeder than it is seeing him buying a bull of another breed.

KNERSIE":10is1s46 said:
If you send a customer to someone else that has the quality that you have then he may have aquired one of your customers permanently.

I know it sounds petty, but that is exactly my problem, but on the other hand we all have a responsibility towards the breed of our choice. Its still better to see someone buy a hereford bull from a fellow breeder than it is seeing him buying a bull of another breed.
I think in that respect you are right. That is something you have to weigh with each individual customer.
You can't keep them all but with a good reputation and your good marketing efforts others will replace them.

Foolish or not - I usually give them a name of a GOOD Simmental breeder. Don't know their prices, usually, but main thing is keeping customer using my BREED and keeping him happy.
But, bull sales are the least of my money makers - I only sell bull calves or bulls fed out on the bull test - or the bull I'm currently using for cleanup (which has only been a probability the past 3 years).

If you are "sold out" are there perhaps some of your customers who are changing bulls and would have one of your earlier bulls for sale?

You could keep a list of folks that bought bulls from you recently and have one of your older bulls for sale and refer inquiries to them.

This way the customer would be getting your genetics and you are helping an existing customer sell an older bull. Maybe suggest he also reserve a new virgin bull for next year. Just an idea.

Jim

Latest posts