Sold some today...

Help Support CattleToday:

Good going Brute! Don't you wish we could still get $1.35/pound like back in 2005? that would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Congrats anyway. Sounds like you (like me) need to sell you heifers as replacements to make a few more ducks on each one.

Sold some steers (young, lightweight, can't find stub for exact weight avg) and got just over $1 a pound. Happy days!

Yalls prices must be alot better than ours. For the 500-600 group these fell in to the market report showed 84-91.

cypressfarms":11yfycoc said:
Good going Brute! Don't you wish we could still get $1.35/pound like back in 2005? that would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Congrats anyway. Sounds like you (like me) need to sell you heifers as replacements to make a few more ducks on each one.

Not much of a market for replacements right now. I just got rid of some bred heifers for a little over what the ring would pay. Most people are selling out or culling hard.

Most people here will start weaning and selling in August, so we pulled ours a little early to beat the rush, which means they were smaller, so more per pound, but probably about the same total $ as we'd have gotten for them later - after we put more money in them.
And, we've gotten better rain this year than the last 3, so people have a little more to feed them.

farmwriter":rl3n4rgu said:
Most people here will start weaning and selling in August, so we pulled ours a little early to beat the rush, which means they were smaller, so more per pound, but probably about the same total $ as we'd have gotten for them later - after we put more money in them.
And, we've gotten better rain this year than the last 3, so people have a little more to feed them.

Yea, well, we aren't selling because we want to (in July), or at least I'm not. Sellin' because I have to. They don't do well on dirt and that's about all I got to feed them right now.

lavacarancher":37v01jcq said:
Yea, well, we aren't selling because we want to (in July), or at least I'm not. Sellin' because I have to. They don't do well on dirt and that's about all I got to feed them right now.

I saw the writing on the wall last November, December, January, February, March. Knew I would never have enough hay to feed all the way thru Summer. Started cutting the herd back in December. Sold the tigerstripes because I got tired of dealing with them. Then in January I started selling/culling 5 cows a week till it started raining in April. Got rid of a couple more in June before the local market hit the toilet. Been feeding a little hay off and on since the first part of June and I figure I have enough to get to the fall if it doesn't rain. We just had our second rain since April a few days ago so we are looking better. I did end up selling 1/3 of the herd and don't expect I'll replace them. Not until I can get near $600 for a 400# calf. That is just the economics of it. Hope we are on track for the rains to become more frequent by the end of August. Had a TStorm fire up NW of us this afternoon but didn't extend far enough to get to us today. Would have been nice if it had.

The people I sold the heifers to had sold out a while back. Managed to get a little hay and grass with the pastures empty. They just took a few, what they could feed, to start easing back into it.

We are selling just to get them out of our wallet, no matter what the price is.

Stopped at Hills Prarie Livestock Auction (close to Bastrop) yesterday on way home from San Antonio. Calf market was active. Most calves had more Brahman influence than I was expecting (3/8 to 1/2). Sold higher than I was expecting, but maybe those buyers knew to expect that much influence and carry orders for that type of calf.

I was at a local auction yesterday and I noticed the eared cattle were doing very well. Tiger stripes were bringing more than black cattle. The English breeds around here spend a good deal of time in the ponds during the heat of the day while the Brahman crosses are out grazing. People down here are finally seeing the wisdom of owning cattle that are suited to their environment.

nap":3n93p72p said:
I was at a local auction yesterday and I noticed the eared cattle were doing very well. Tiger stripes were bringing more than black cattle. The English breeds around here spend a good deal of time in the ponds during the heat of the day while the Brahman crosses are out grazing. People down here are finally seeing the wisdom of owning cattle that are suited to their environment.
That sir, is the whole point. Raise what is needed for your environment. Even a half Brahman cow when bred to something that does not have Brahman in it will produce a very marketable calf that fits southern markets and can even go to the southern plains area.

525 avg. straight bred will get a $1.00 in s. texas.....Hey, before you holler, most of my herd is brahman influenced.....but straight bred will fetch more....now, they may take more $$ to raise, but..i just commented that the ear will cost you at ther barn..

xbred":3tuv3ami said:
525 avg. straight bred will get a $1.00 in s. texas.....Hey, before you holler, most of my herd is brahman influenced.....but straight bred will fetch more....now, they may take more $$ to raise, but..i just commented that the ear will cost you at ther barn..

Dude, what are you missing? The livestock report from that barn, that day, said: 500-600 Heifers were .84 to .91. Now you tell me they will bring a $1.00..... I don't understand where you are going with this? :???:

Brute 23":ccl9x356 said:
xbred":ccl9x356 said:

Dude, what are you missing? The livestock report from that barn, that day, said: 500-600 Heifers were .84 to .91. Now you tell me they will bring a $1.00..... I don't understand where you are going with this? :???:
are you saying you believe a gov't report :lol: :lol:

Angus Cowman":1zjc7nbm said:
Brute 23":1zjc7nbm said:
xbred":1zjc7nbm said:

are you saying you believe a gov't report :lol: :lol:

Who said any thing about the gov't? :???:

Latest posts