Sold our Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Well, our steers sold today. Straight off the cow and into the auction mart. 46 steers averaged 573 lbs @ 104.49/cwt for an average of 599.12. Before deductions of course. Pretty happy with the weights over all. Had 23 out of 46 that were basically 600 lbs or more. Prices were actually better than we hoped to get, we averaged about $.05/lb more than last year and had more heavy calves than last year too. This year we graded all our calves, and other than a grey calf they all were in some decent sized groups of calves.

We kept all the heifers for now, $.90 is pretty much top price for heifers, no matter the weight. Big heifers are bringing the same per lb as smaller heifers, both 500 and 600 lb calves will bring right around $.85. Takes a pretty small heifer to make the $.90 mark. So we will keep ours and feed them for now and hope prices come up on them a bit. Worked last year anyways :nod:

So here's our prices and weights. For the most part, color doesn't seem to be making a big difference in prices.

14 Red/RBRF steers avg'd 625 lbs @ 1.02 for $637
6 Blk/BBRF steers avg'd 628 @ 1.0325 for $648
6 Blk/BBRF steers avg'd 547 @ 1.0825 for $592.31
3 Red/RBRF steers avg'd 595 @ 1.0425 for $620
3 Herf steers avg'd 545 @ 1.0250 for $558
3 Blk/BBRF steers avg'd 576 @ 1.03 for $593
4 Red steers avg'd 524 @ 1.0325 for $541
1 Herf steer avg'd 567 @ 1.0050 for $570

We had 5 steers under 500 lbs, all Apr/May calves and out of cows I had bought this spring.
2 Blk/BBRF steers avg'd 482 @ 1.08 for $521
2 Blk steer avg'd 435 @ 1.2250 for $532
1 Rbrf steer avg'd 417 @ 121 for $505

and to finish it all we had
1 grey steer avg'd 519 @ 1.03 for $535

Congratulations. I take it these are Canadian dollars? (about 5 cents difference to US dollars right now)

Jim

3-400 would be amazing. More like about $100 or less once you've fed them for the year, and that was just the steers. Takes quite a heifer to bring enough to actually pay the costs for her mama.

randiliana":2fee3za8 said:
3-400 would be amazing. More like about $100 or less once you've fed them for the year, and that was just the steers. Takes quite a heifer to bring enough to actually pay the costs for her mama.

What I am trying to say is - Daddy needs a new pick up! :lol:

Congratulations Randi, looks like prices did not drop as much as "they" predicted.

The heifer prices are just horrible all of the time. That is why I kept mine last year and sold them at a replacement sale in the spring. I did good at the sale but they ate all of my hay and then I had to buy more for my herd and then the drought. I wish I would have sold them for a dismal price when they were calves. I would have been further ahead and would have had feed left over and not have to give my cows away in Sept.

Color doesn't mean anything here either good calves get top dollar. :nod:

Sad when we think $1.04 average is a good price isn't it and we are happy about it. Just 4 years ago those same steers would have gotten $1.40-1.50. :???:

ALX hard to buy a new truck with cattle money these days.. ;-)

hillsdown":3eldbi2l said:
Congratulations Randi, looks like prices did not drop as much as "they" predicted.

The heifer prices are just horrible all of the time. That is why I kept mine last year and sold them at a replacement sale in the spring. I did good at the sale but they ate all of my hay and then I had to buy more for my herd and then the drought. I wish I would have sold them for a dismal price when they were calves. I would have been further ahead and would have had feed left over and not have to give my cows away in Sept.

Color doesn't mean anything here either good calves get top dollar. :nod:

Sad when we think $1.04 average is a good price isn't it and we are happy about it. Just 4 years ago those same steers would have gotten $1.40-1.50. :???:

No, they aren't quite as bad as we all expected. We kept all of our heifers last year, sold the bottom end in late Feb. Price wise we did well, but they didn't grow quite as well as we had hoped. The cold winter was hard on them. They ate a lot, but we had that budgeted in.

Yes, $1.04 is really sad, these big good steers should be worth waaaay more than that :frowns:

No truck happening here, we will be happy if we can pay all the bills this fall, I know a lot that won't be able to do that.....

hillsdown":2d5hkkge said:

Factor in a .71 cent canuk buck from back in the good ole days.
Look at what you can buy equipment wise from south of the border right now.

Just trying to be upbeat. :)

MO_cows":18ndc2c4 said:
Congratulations. Must have been a nice set of calves with only 5 "lightweights" and they weren't that light.

Thanks, they were really quite nice, if I do say so myself. We had 14 steers go into one pen, so that says something right there.

We've been working hard to be rid of those lightweights, it takes a lot of culling to get there.

hillsdown":2niuh9xv said:
That was before the specs ruined the grain markets.

Latest posts