Sold my heifers - pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred

Reaction score
. I know the prices were down and hoped they wouldn't sell real cheap at the sale barn. When I dropped them at the sale barn I told the owner I was selling 5 good heifers. He said he would try to sell them as a group. They sold as a group, weighed 3070 pounds and brought $1.07/ pound. Avg 614 pounds,$656/head. They were born January and February out of a brangus bull and beefmaster cross cows. Pic of 3 of them taken in October.

Cattle_Black_Calves_007.jpg

Cattle_Black_Calves_004.jpg

Cattle_Black_Calves_003.jpg

Fred":2uc724d9 said:
. I know the prices were down and hoped they wouldn't sell real cheap at the sale barn. When I dropped them at the sale barn I told the owner I was selling 5 good heifers. He said he would try to sell them as a group. They sold as a group, weighed 3070 pounds and brought $1.07/ pound. Avg 614 pounds,$656/head. They were born January and February out of a brangus bull and beefmaster cross cows. Pic of 3 of them taken in October.

Cattle_Black_Calves_007.jpg

url]

Cattle_Black_Calves_003.jpg

Personally, I think they are very nice looking heifers. We recently sold three separately at the sale. They were sold by the head. I know one sold for $350 and didn't weigh what yours did buy a good bit, maybe 350 lbs. The other 2 brought $275 a piece...one weighing maybe 200 lbs, the other maybe 250. I have no idea what that would have come to by the pound since our receipt didn't list weights...and I'm mathmatecally challenged when it comes to figuring that stuff up.

Sometimes I wonder if selling as a group is always the best. I'm told over and over it is...but if ours had sold as a group, I don't know that we'd have gotten that much. Also, we sold an auction that is primarily dairy cattle, and sometimes, believe it or not, I think running beef cattle thru a diary auction can make buyers/looky loos take notice a little more.

Just rambling and speculating. I'll quit.

Alice

Alice":3ge3efrt said:
We recently sold three separately at the sale. They were sold by the head. I know one sold for $350 and didn't weigh what yours did buy a good bit, maybe 350 lbs. The other 2 brought $275 a piece...one weighing maybe 200 lbs, the other maybe 250. I have no idea what that would have come to by the pound since our receipt didn't list weights...and I'm mathmatecally challenged when it comes to figuring that stuff up.

Alice

That concerns me some.

Wewild":38ppn8ar said:
Alice":38ppn8ar said:
We recently sold three separately at the sale. They were sold by the head. I know one sold for $350 and didn't weigh what yours did buy a good bit, maybe 350 lbs. The other 2 brought $275 a piece...one weighing maybe 200 lbs, the other maybe 250. I have no idea what that would have come to by the pound since our receipt didn't list weights...and I'm mathmatecally challenged when it comes to figuring that stuff up.

Alice

That concerns me some.

Well, don't let it Wewild. :)

Alice

Alice":2xg6wqt3 said:

Alice

I guess it was a 2 fold concern. You never think of me.

What am I missing by trading the small one's by the pound?

Wewild":v9dcf945 said:
Alice":v9dcf945 said:

Alice

I guess it was a 2 fold concern. You never think of me.

What am I missing by trading the small one's by the pound?

Maybe it's a regional thing, Wewild. And maybe it has to do with us selling at a primarily dairy cow auction. The Friday auction rarely sells anything other than packer cows by the pound, and that's where we normally sell ours. Anyway, we have noticed that selling by the head nets us a bit more money, for whatever reason...maybe it's because there are the odd bidders that have come for something specific and compete against each other. I'm sure there's better answers than this...and I'm sure you'll get them.

Alice

Alice":21fcjzdt said:
Anyway, we have noticed that selling by the head nets us a bit more money, for whatever reason

Alice

I could buy this......

Alice":21fcjzdt said:
I have no idea what that would have come to by the pound since our receipt didn't list weights...and I'm mathmatecally challenged when it comes to figuring that stuff up. Alice

If it wasn't for this.Now I'm concerned again.

Let's not highjack this thread, Wewild..ok?

Alice

Fred you did okay. From what is going through the auction barn right now, you got a price that seems just a little more that what I have been seeing. The numbers of head being sold are dropping off.

It looks like those ladies you sold would have worked for me. I would have given them a hard look. I like them.

Wewild":zg03jb77 said:
Alice":zg03jb77 said:
Anyway, we have noticed that selling by the head nets us a bit more money, for whatever reason

Alice

I could buy this......

Alice":zg03jb77 said:
I have no idea what that would have come to by the pound since our receipt didn't list weights...and I'm mathmatecally challenged when it comes to figuring that stuff up. Alice

If it wasn't for this.Now I'm concerned again.

Its nice to know that you two kids are still together

after all these posts....

MD

backhoeboogie":3diiga65 said:
Fred you did okay. From what is going through the auction barn right now, you got a price that seems just a little more that what I have been seeing. The numbers of head being sold are dropping off.

It looks like those ladies you sold would have worked for me. I would have given them a hard look. I like them.
I was real happy with the price. I was afraid they would bring 80 something cents a pound

Fred":1uz9be5o said:
backhoeboogie":1uz9be5o said:

I was real happy with the price. I was afraid they would bring 80 something cents a pound

Then, if you got 27 cents a pound more than what you'd expected, I'm sure you were very happy with the price! Good for you! When it comes to money, getting more rather than less is always a thrill. Truth be known, we were tickled to death with what we got...we were expecting less, also.

Alice :)

You did okay... thats what its all about ... anything over a $1 is good, to bad you didn't get there when it was $1.50..

2&3 looked good.
Donna

Fred, sounds like you got a real good price for your heifers. Congratulations on some really nice heifers. With the prices being down 3-6 dollars per hundred for about 7 weeks in a row they would have brought mid 80's here.
At dairy auctions and smaller country auctions, they get more money selling 300 lb and smaller calves by the head because people get involved in the bidding and they dont stop to figure what it is costing per pound. At larger, beef auctions where it is mostly order buyers, they want to know the weight and they buy by the pound because that is what their customers want.

:( Just sold some 500 lb steers for .86 and heifers for .85.
Old bull brought .40 and weighed 2,ooo lbs. Last year the
same type calves ( hereford angus cross) fetched me 1.20.
The market has gone to h***! :x