Sold long weaned heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

I would be happy to! This grain market is really starting to weigh down the feeder cattle prices around here.

Sold 22 hd of long weaned heifers yesterday. They sold as one groupq including 5 blue roans and 3 rwf. 648 lbs @ $134.50. We were very satisfied.
Where did you get that price around here? I've got about 15 I need to sell. Heifers and steers.

The new barn at Clinton. It and Elk City are ran by the same person. We sold steers 10 days ago at Woodward and the middle bunch didn't do as well as we expected. We just seem to get along well T the Elk and New Clinton sales.

I've never had luck in Elk. I always take a beating there, and didn't do well the one time I tried the new Clinton barn. Been burned too many times to ever go back. I've done ok in Woodward, but it's so darn far. I've got about 15 I need to sell soon.

We have had just the opposite results. We quit going to Woodward four years ago. Was encouraged to try them again and felt we left a lot of dollars up there. They don't gave near the cattle they did 6 years ago

Heifers have come up a lot here since last fall, and are now about 10 cents behind steers. I asked a buyer why - - he said they have orders for heifers... Any deeper ideas than that?

Sold some bred heifers for U$S 1600 last week.
Selling some weaned cull heifer calves this week.
Replacements look like a 2021 money maker.

Last edited:
Can buy quality breds here $1200 or less pretty consistent, nice registered for $1400 or less fairly often. You should be pretty happy at $1600. Could have bought #1 700 heifers this week at @ $1.00 this week. Maybe I should have bought a load and put with my bull.

Sold some bred heifers for U$S 1600 last week.
Selling some weaned cull heifer calves this week.
Replacements look like a 2021 money maker.
Maybe B's crystal ball is a good one. He was planning on buying 200 heifers to breed and sell this fall. I don't know if he reached is numbers or not but I know that I bought about 60 head for him. The cow sales I have gone to bred heifers were no where near $1600.

Heifer calves were cheap enough last fall. The only issue I could see was the potential for an expansion of the drought.

I am retaining most of my heifer calves and selling older cows.

Last edited:
You should be pretty happy at $1600.
I did not advertise. The buyer tracked me down, and begged, because I have been recently buying bulls from a stud he liked. I sold choice, and in the end the majority of the females he picked were actually sired by an older War Party son that SOB sold me.

Thick, shiny, calm. It was hard to load them out.

I knew it, reputation cattle! In all seriousness congratulations. Hard to load out really good ones that you have worked hard to put together but at least you got paid for them so that takes a lot of the sting off.

Market has picked up here. Apparently we will all not die from the covid, Four weights are hot and up to $183 for singleton steers...

Sorted the heifer pen:
twin and late calves - 560# at U$S 137 or $767
high headed or narrow bitches - 710# at U$S 113 or $802

I have 25 heifers left to go back to grass. Will cull any late shedders or supersized ones this summer, and then AI the remainder to L' Mo a PCC bull. They are starting to get fat now on baleage so I will have to start giving them some cow hay.