Sold in less than 30 minutes

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
Saturday, I listed my 8 month old HPF Optimizer Bull on Craigslist Lexington. He sold in less than 30 minutes.

Got a text: Do you still have bull? I want him.

I thought it was a scam. I was extremely cautious because the prospective buyer resides out of state (Tennessee). Talked on the phone. Told him only cash. He ask if I would accept 18 $100 bills. Reply: yes.

Vet came yesterday and checked ear tattoo and filled out health papers. Certified as virgin bull so no trichomonas test. Ask Dr. Darren Stanfield, what will he weigh? I don't have him on a scale but I would estimate 900. I had told the buyer 800.

Guy just left with bull. He, his son and his son's 15 year old daughter made the 5 hour drive to get the bull. Son looks at dad and says, "he is closer to 900 than 800. He has a lot of muscle and look at the bone."

Loaded like a puppy dog. They walked through my fall calves. The daughter was petting them. The older gentleman (69) says no way are his Angus this gentle. I got some that would be on the other end of the pasture if this many strangers were around.

I met new people and made friends. They were wonderful people. A very rewarding experience.

33a7yo7.jpg

1zp46x5.jpg

Bright Raven":p2vb3jqh said:
Saturday, I listed my 8 month old HPF Optimizer Bull on Craigslist Lexington. He sold in less than 30 minutes.

I thought it was a scam. I was extremely cautious because the prospective buyer resides out of state (Tennessee). Talked on the phone. Told him only cash. He ask if I would accept 18 $100 bills. Reply: yes.

Vet came yesterday and checked ear tattoo and filled out health papers. Certified as virgin bull so no trichomonas test. Ask Dr. Darren Stanfield, what will he weigh? I don't have him on a scale but I would estimate 900. I had told the buyer 800.

Guy just left with bull. He, his son and his son's 15 year old daughter made the 5 hour drive to get the bull. Son looks at dad and says, "he is closer to 900 than 800. He has a lot of muscle and look at the bone."

Loaded like a puppy dog. They walked through my fall calves. The daughter was petting them. The older gentleman (69) says no way are his Angus this gentle. I got some that would be on the other end of the pasture if this many strangers were around.

I met new people and made friends. They were wonderful people. A very rewarding experience.

33a7yo7.jpg

1zp46x5.jpg

moral of the story is you left about 600 bucks on the table

M-5":3n6tyh39 said:
Bright Raven":3n6tyh39 said:

33a7yo7.jpg

1zp46x5.jpg

moral of the story is you left about 600 bucks on the table

Darren said the same thing. But that much chrome is hard to sell. It just so happens it was exactly what they wanted.

I wasn't trying to be a smart azz its the truth. now you can be as happy as a clam with what you got but next time you'll know start a little higher. Think about how many more bags of cow treats 600 would buy

M-5":3fwlkarw said:
I wasn't trying to be a smart azz its the truth. now you can be as happy as a clam with what you got but next time you'll know start a little higher. Think about how many more bags of cow treats 600 would buy

I coordinate with Fire Sweep on everything I do. She is selling one of my bulls out there this fall and two or more of my heifers. She thought it might be hard to sell that much chrome in a sale. She thought Craigslist would reach a broader market and hit those people who might be looking for Chrome. I listed at the price she suggested.

I like this better than the post a calf picture thread. Post a picture of your stack.

Not my stack

[
Darren said the same thing. But that much chrome is hard to sell. It just so happens it was exactly what they wanted

I'd say that would be correct.

I'd say you did good.

I am going to speak out here, but M-5 your full of CRAP!
He just sold an 7 month old bull calf, NO GUARANTEES, for $1800. He has no more expenses in that bugger. Feed him until he is breeding age (12 months is when we sell them over here) and you will have another $300 into him easy! Plus the expense of BSE at time of sale. Plus he could die. Plus he has too much white for 99% of the people out there. Plus, plus plus... The bull market is so soft right now, I am watching 18 MONTH OLD BULLS not selling for $2000!!!!!!! The bull had what the guy was looking for (lots of white to run on his Angus cows so his granddaughter can get some white faced babies), it was sure chance that he looked just minutes after Ron posted the ad!
Great sale Ron. Glad I told you to call the guy back and that it WAS NOT likely a scam??? You were going to ignore the initial contact he had with you because you were so sure it was a scam for money! lol, teach you to trust Craigslist (and me) a little more....

Fire Sweep Ranch":139jpd6l said:
I am going to speak out here, but M-5 your full of CRAP!
He just sold an 7 month old bull calf, NO GUARANTEES, for $1800. He has no more expenses in that bugger. Feed him until he is breeding age (12 months is when we sell them over here) and you will have another $300 into him easy! Plus the expense of BSE at time of sale. Plus he could die. Plus he has too much white for 99% of the people out there. Plus, plus plus... The bull market is so soft right now, I am watching 18 MONTH OLD BULLS not selling for $2000!!!!!!! The bull had what the guy was looking for (lots of white to run on his Angus cows so his granddaughter can get some white faced babies), it was sure chance that he looked just minutes after Ron posted the ad!
Great sale Ron. Glad I told you to call the guy back and that it WAS NOT likely a scam??? You were going to ignore the initial contact he had with you because you were so sure it was a scam for money! lol, teach you to trust Craigslist (and me) a little more....

You sure didn't major in business. I think Ron did great, but he could've done better.

Congrats that is an excellent price for that age calf. We have had good success using Craigs list. I pay our check off once yearly. I have found that works the best for me that way I don't forget one. Nice calf!

Gizmom

What price do you think that bull should have brought?

Edit: This was a question for True Grit.

About the same thing happened with us. Last year I put our bull on cragslist just to see if there was any interest. Got a call in about half hour, guy sent a deposit check. We did BSE and they drove up from southern arkansas and got him. Couldn;t belive it, didn;t dicker at all about the price. Only time I've ever put anything on craigslist, guess I now know what people use it so much.

TennesseeTuxedo":3nqc1eqx said:
First of all halters are gay.

Secondly, he brought a darn good price. Congrats Bird man.

A blue and black graphite halter! Why gay?

BTW: I like the graphite halter. The loops slide smooth like they are greased.

Thanks. To all. These were nice people. The older guy and I neither one can hear worth a dang. It is hard to say what I was agreeing to. Because I just shake my head yes when I don't hear. I could not make out one word his granddaughter was saying.

PS: M-5, Darren did say the same thing. He said if he sold in 30 minutes, you were too low. I think he was partly kidding. He knows that white is not desirable to most folks.

The bull moves good. He is really a chunk. Fire Sweep has been helpful. She knows his flaws. In my opinion, I think these Optimizer calves have caught a growth gene. Mine and Fire Sweep's are all aggressive growth machines.

Ive bought and sold quite abit on CL plus Im a salesman by trade so I know the "art of a deal" pricing things too high does nothing but sour your experience and name but finding a happy medium can be difficult. I win and loose jobs over a hundred bucks so Im very familiar with leaving money on the table. In all honesty I would have priced at 2500.00 bucks and dickered to around 2250.00 you want them to feel like they won . You don't see those kind, chrome or not on CL very often and I see far worse for a lot more money.

dun":d5bkvx26 said:
About the same thing happened with us. Last year I put our bull on cragslist just to see if there was any interest. Got a call in about half hour, guy sent a deposit check. We did BSE and they drove up from southern arkansas and got him. Couldn;t belive it, didn;t dicker at all about the price. Only time I've ever put anything on craigslist, guess I now know what people use it so much.

We have sold 7 bulls through Craigs so far in the past 6 months ranging in price from $1,500 for yearlings to $2,500 for 2 year olds. All purebred Angus but none registered and no BSEs or guarantees of any kind.

TennesseeTuxedo":2k6muav2 said:
dun":2k6muav2 said:

We have sold 7 bulls through Craigs so far in the past 6 months ranging in price from $1,500 for yearlings to $2,500 for 2 year olds. All purebred Angus but none registered and no BSEs or guarantees of any kind.
He was a 3 year old I listed him for 5k. I wouldn;t sell a bull without a BSE and negative tric. Just seems the right thing to do. If they end up with fertility problems they can;t come back at you for it.

Latest posts