Sold in less than 30 minutes

Help Support CattleToday:

You're happy with the deal, and it sounds like the buyer is happy with it. Winners all the way around. If you'd priced him at $2500 in CL you might not have gotten any responses.

dun":38ouqydb said:
TennesseeTuxedo":38ouqydb said:
dun":38ouqydb said:
About the same thing happened with us. Last year I put our bull on cragslist just to see if there was any interest. Got a call in about half hour, guy sent a deposit check. We did BSE and they drove up from southern arkansas and got him. Couldn;t belive it, didn;t dicker at all about the price. Only time I've ever put anything on craigslist, guess I now know what people use it so much.

We have sold 7 bulls through Craigs so far in the past 6 months ranging in price from $1,500 for yearlings to $2,500 for 2 year olds. All purebred Angus but none registered and no BSEs or guarantees of any kind.
He was a 3 year old I listed him for 5k. I wouldn;t sell a bull without a BSE and negative tric. Just seems the right thing to do. If they end up with fertility problems they can;t come back at you for it.

They were all made aware that it was in their best interest to haul them to vet first and if there was a problem to bring them back for a full refund.

Ron I think you did well. I had similar luck last week. Advertised a 9 month full blood bull calf and a 500 lb steer on a couple of Facebook sites and never got a sniff. Decided to throw them out on Craigslist and two hours later had a guy from the Houston area wanting to shove sticker price at me. He picked them up two days later.

Getting 1800 for that young of a bull is outstanding. I'd say both parties did really well on this deal.

Lazy M":gcnr5sqf said:
Getting 1800 for that young of a bull is outstanding. I'd say both parties did really well on this deal.

Thanks. I am pleased. He is only 8 months and all I guaranteed was his pedigree. What happens between now and the time he intends to put him in service is not under my control.

If you get an opportunity to use HPF Optimizer semen, try it.

True Grit Farms":c0c9rl9t said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":c0c9rl9t said:
I am going to speak out here, but M-5 your full of CRAP!
He just sold an 7 month old bull calf, NO GUARANTEES, for $1800. He has no more expenses in that bugger. Feed him until he is breeding age (12 months is when we sell them over here) and you will have another $300 into him easy! Plus the expense of BSE at time of sale. Plus he could die. Plus he has too much white for 99% of the people out there. Plus, plus plus... The bull market is so soft right now, I am watching 18 MONTH OLD BULLS not selling for $2000!!!!!!! The bull had what the guy was looking for (lots of white to run on his Angus cows so his granddaughter can get some white faced babies), it was sure chance that he looked just minutes after Ron posted the ad!
Great sale Ron. Glad I told you to call the guy back and that it WAS NOT likely a scam??? You were going to ignore the initial contact he had with you because you were so sure it was a scam for money! lol, teach you to trust Craigslist (and me) a little more....

You sure didn't major in business. I think Ron did great, but he could've done better.
Always that chance but all things considered I think he hit a home run......"I'm not screwed unless I think I'm screwed"............he got his asking price for a very young calf in a very short time. A happy buyer and seller. That's all that matters.

Fire Sweep Ranch":3mjuwsuk said:
He just sold an 7 month old bull calf, NO GUARANTEES, for $1800. He has no more expenses in that bugger. Feed him until he is breeding age (12 months is when we sell them over here) and you will have another $300 into him easy! Plus the expense of BSE at time of sale. Plus he could die. Plus he has too much white for 99% of the people out there. Plus, plus plus... The bull market is so soft right now, I am watching 18 MONTH OLD BULLS not selling for $2000!!!!!!! The bull had what the guy was looking for (lots of white to run on his Angus cows so his granddaughter can get some white faced babies), it was sure chance that he looked just minutes after Ron posted the ad!
Great sale Ron. Glad I told you to call the guy back and that it WAS NOT likely a scam??? You were going to ignore the initial contact he had with you because you were so sure it was a scam for money! lol, teach you to trust Craigslist (and me) a little more....
You can think that all you want but if any item listed on CL or anywhere else and it sells within an hour it's priced too low. Read my comments I said if he was happy so be it and it was a good price but at this point you or I never know what that guy would have paid , to you he had to much chrome but to the buyer he was just right so there was room in the negotiation. It doesn't matter if you're selling purple widgets or green monkeys you can not predict what motivates the buyer.

M-5":2688hdgh said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":2688hdgh said:
You can think that all you want but if any item listed on CL or anywhere else and it sells within an hour it's priced too low. Read my comments I said if he was happy so be it and it was a good price but at this point you or I never know what that guy would have paid , to you he had to much chrome but to the buyer he was just right so there was room in the negotiation. It doesn't matter if you're selling purple widgets or green monkeys you can not predict what motivates the buyer.

I would advise against dealing in monkeys or widgets. Their nothing but trouble.

Craig Miller":ngjmz4th said:
Way to go Ron. 1800 in the hand is better than in the wind. I would have gave you 1900 ;-)

I'm satisfied. The guy texted me about 30 minutes ago. His granddaughter fell in love with one of the heifers. So life is good.

A nice calf and I think you did fine. Another way I look at it is if they are satisfied and feel they got a good deal they will likely come back and be repeat customers. You might of got a little more that day but in the long run you may end up way ahead. From the sales I've watched I think you did well. I've seen nice long yearlings bring less than 2 lately.

Bright Raven":114z1lyd said:
Craig Miller":114z1lyd said:
Way to go Ron. 1800 in the hand is better than in the wind. I would have gave you 1900 ;-)

I'm satisfied. The guy texted me about 30 minutes ago. His granddaughter fell in love with one of the heifers. So life is good.

I forgot to add that he is a great looking calf. I wish I had about a hundred like him.

Tell them about my bull Marko for their next bull.. has just a little chrome too! Yours was a nice guy, and any deal that just goes smoothly has got to be worth something.. word of mouth may spread and may pay dividends

Hunter":12n9qk6d said:
What price do you think that bull should have brought?

Edit: This was a question for True Grit.

I think he brought more than he was worth myself, but I wasn't doing the buying. Ron would of been happy with $1500. That's a very nice bull and he went to the perfect herd, Angus. There's a very good chance his offspring will have a white face and no or very little extra chrome. A white faced, black bred heifer will sell at the top everytime in a elite or breeders sale. And the steers will top the sale at the barn. But a spotted calf is a real possibility if that bull is used on a Simmental, Hereford or crossbred herd.

True Grit Farms":1qf0tppw said:
Hunter":1qf0tppw said:
What price do you think that bull should have brought?

Edit: This was a question for True Grit.

I think he brought more than he was worth myself, but I wasn't doing the buying. Ron would of been happy with $1500. That's a very nice bull and he went to the perfect herd, Angus. There's a very good chance his offspring will have a white face and no or very little extra chrome. A white faced, black bred heifer will sell at the top everytime in a elite or breeders sale. And the steers will top the sale at the barn. But a spotted calf is a real possibility if that bull is used on a Simmental, Hereford or crossbred herd.

I agree 100 %.

That is a perfect bull for their cattle. He said his cows average about 1400 pounds. They are Black Angus cows and he says they can handle good sized calves.

Nothing against Ron's Bull but he could have got a better deal on one at the Bulls of the Bluegrass Sale this Spring in Mt. Sterling that were older with more guarantee's.